Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Box brace - Anyone running one and which one did you go with and why?

Old 12-31-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Box brace - Anyone running one and which one did you go with and why?

Steering Box brace - Anyone running one and which one did you go with and why? I have seen two styles. One from Offroad Evolution that bolts to the oposite side and connects via a track bar or sorts to help hold it in place. The other is made by Rock Solid and reinforces it and ties into the track bar mount on that side of the vehicle. Anyone using either of these and noticed a difference in steering or anything?

Thanks,
Huck
Old 12-31-2011, 08:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I don't have a steering box brace for my JK I do have one for my Dodge Ram from PSC. It works great, tied together the frame horns and made the front end feel more solid. Having blown up two steering boxes it was a no brainer and there have been a number of Ram owners who have experienced death wobble attributed to flexing in the frame horns.

As for the JK and looking at the design of both mentioned I would prefer the Rock Solid because it's simplicity. The last thing I want is a long bar that doesn't tie both the frame horns together despite the JKs cross member. Better yet is the JKS Kit which would fit my criteria of tying together the frame rails and bring together the best of both worlds.

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/me...Steering_Brake
Old 12-31-2011, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Huck271
Steering Box brace - Anyone running one and which one did you go with and why? I have seen two styles. One from Offroad Evolution that bolts to the oposite side and connects via a track bar or sorts to help hold it in place. The other is made by Rock Solid and reinforces it and ties into the track bar mount on that side of the vehicle. Anyone using either of these and noticed a difference in steering or anything?

Thanks,
Huck
I can tell you from experience to do your homework if running the brace from Rock Solid as there is a very small range of trackbars that work with their brace.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by highwayman
I can tell you from experience to do your homework if running the brace from Rock Solid as there is a very small range of trackbars that work with their brace.
Can you elaborate on that a bit? The day I start leaking fluid from my steering box will find me in a mad dash to get solutions and with your help I'd like to be that much better prepared. I hate having to fix things twice and even worse running into problems when the parts arrive.

I did see that PSC had two different versions of the Rock Solid listed, one for the stock track bar holes and another for a relocated track bar mount.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sb500k.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	256745Click image for larger version

Name:	sb600k.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	256746
Old 01-01-2012, 04:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JPop
Can you elaborate on that a bit? The day I start leaking fluid from my steering box will find me in a mad dash to get solutions and with your help I'd like to be that much better prepared. I hate having to fix things twice and even worse running into problems when the parts arrive.

I did see that PSC had two different versions of the Rock Solid listed, one for the stock track bar holes and another for a relocated track bar mount.

Attachment 256745Attachment 256746

I would like to know if this will work with the latest version JKS trackbar, since the new JKS trackbar is designed to clear their sector shaft brace?
Old 01-01-2012, 05:41 AM
JK Super Freak

There is a plethora of information on this bracket and its lack of utility in the nether regions of the internet, if you know what I mean.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryanc
There is a plethora of information on this bracket and its lack of utility in the nether regions of the internet, if you know what I mean.
This ^. A search under the brace name will link ya. Basically, the problem is the lack of clearance between the brace & the upward bends of the majority of TB's needed to clear the diff. Limited uptravel. There are a few TB's that are compatible, but limited. After the junk the guy pulled with the large group of guys initially buying them & doing the research for the guy & getting hosed for return & shipping costs, I wouldnt buy anything from the guy.....

Im referring to Rock Solid, NOT EVO. Mel is a stand up guy.....

Last edited by highwayman; 01-04-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:06 PM
JK Freak

I ended up installing the JKS version. It's really nice. I will post up some pics next week.

Huck
Old 01-06-2012, 09:17 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

using evo... works really well... You do need to use some spray grease on the little ball and colar to keep it from squeeking! After a couple trips it sems to need to have a squirt of something.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Huck271
I ended up installing the JKS version. It's really nice. I will post up some pics next week.

Huck
I am curious to see this too! Subscribed....

Quick Reply: Steering Box brace - Anyone running one and which one did you go with and why?