Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Bind?

Old 10-11-2010, 11:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After talking to some different people on here and friends.. Im pretty sure it is my steering gear going bad. I have found one on rockauto.com for like $380 with tax/core charge/ and shipping so i will probably be replacing it with a new one very soon
Old 10-11-2010, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jerrod710
I bought a PSC setup about 5 or 6 years ago for my Blazer. I was told I had to get the whole setup and that is what I did. After owning it and my experience with it I'd like to talk you out of getting it. One if the engine dies while you are driving you will not be able to steer your vehicle cause the pump won't be running to operate that ram, makes this a huge safety issue if you are on a highway or road somewhere especially in a curve. Two, I didn't really notice any difference than when it was stock and if you are just going to run 35" or 37" tires in my opinion you don't need it of course depending on where you plan on taking your Jeep to wheel and how often you do that sort of thing such as extreme rock climbing.
This wouldn't be unique to PSC. All your hydraulic power goes bye bye when the engine dies. Even your OEM.

And the Hydro assist doesn't make this worse. It (the ram) just kicks in when you try to turn the wheels/tires against a heavy object like a big rock on the trail. Hot knife thru butter. Otherwise, the power steering is facilitated by the pump just like an OEM.

Do you "need" this? Probably not. But you'll want it once you watch someone steer with one finger over an obstacle you pulled a muscle trying to navigate around. And I think it's much higher quality than the OEM box they'll put in at the stealership.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmcan
This wouldn't be unique to PSC. All your hydraulic power goes bye bye when the engine dies. Even your OEM.

And the Hydro assist doesn't make this worse. It (the ram) just kicks in when you try to turn the wheels/tires against a heavy object like a big rock on the trail. Hot knife thru butter. Otherwise, the power steering is facilitated by the pump just like an OEM.

Do you "need" this? Probably not. But you'll want it once you watch someone steer with one finger over an obstacle you pulled a muscle trying to navigate around. And I think it's much higher quality than the OEM box they'll put in at the stealership.
I thought the first part of that was pretty much what I said just explained a little better in terms.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2010, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

something else many people overlook is the steering stabilizer. i bent the shaft ever so slightly offroad and prevented me from turning fully to passenger side. i now run without it and zero issues now.

have you tried, turning your wheel from center to driver and center to passenger to see if the turns are even?
Old 10-11-2010, 03:18 PM
JK Freak

or jack it up put it on stands.. turn the car on and turn it left to right by hand... easy way to tell what is going on without somone else helping.

That said, i sure as hell wouldnt drive it highway speeds if it is doing that.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Super Freak

well i got the new steering gear and it made a world of difference but my ESP/BAS light is still on. i also realized that my upper driver side ball joint is worn out.
I feel like my jeeps front end is just falling apart and im kinda getting tired of it.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard the stock front end parts are weak and don't last long. Tons of rumors and stories about ball joints just lasting 15,000 miles and they're shot.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Well glad to say i read the manuel and it says it could take 10 starts to reset the esp/bas and it did. Tonight it went off and glad the new steering gear fixed it.
I think i am going to order ball joints. what do yall think?

Last edited by Robar; 10-17-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Blacklisted manufacturer
Old 10-17-2010, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds good. What ball joints you going to order? Something better than stock?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:15 PM
JK Freak

Quality aftermarket ball joints are definately worth the investment over the junk OEMs. Neverytime you upgrade one component of the front end you will be shifting the stresses to another component. It's inevitable that you'll be eventually switching everything out. Especially if ya use your rig for it's intended purposes

Quick Reply: Steering Bind?