Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Bind?

Old 10-10-2010, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. I just went thru a similar issue, but my steering box was worn out, and the dealer said "Not Under Warranty" bc of my lift and tires,... I didn't really feel like he was wrong, but I decided to upgrade tot the PSC Hydro-Assist for just a few more bucks (maybe more than a few, but it's WAY better than replacing the POS OEM box with the same POS OEM box)
Old 10-10-2010, 06:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlincoln91
When i start to turn to the right(passenger side) its like my turning gets caught up on something and then lets go and the jeep jumps and sometimes it does that when just changing lanes slowly at highway speeds.
I once heard someone describe these same symptoms. After a few visits the dealer finally replaced the steering box.

Just a thought.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, after reading your further descriptions after my initial response, I would have to say take a good look and investigation of the steering gear box and the steering shaft. Sounds like one of these or both is going to be the issue. Good luck and post your findings.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dlincoln91
Its like ill be going down the street or highway and ill try to change lanes and my steering wheel is turned but my tires arent and then it just pops right after a split second of that and my jeep swerves to catch up with the wheel it feels like but going slow it turns fine
your going to have to check the universal joint in the steering shaft. as for the esp light you prob have a fault related to wheel speed sensors or steering angle sensor. which in built into the steering wheel housing aka clock spring.......
Old 10-11-2010, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

hard to tell without looking at it.. id post up multiple pics of the steering linkage from various angles see if someone with more experience can point it out.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Will the steering gear box continue to get worse and tear itself up or will it stay the same?
Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

It can get worse possibly to point where you lose ability to steer if the box is the problem. If its the shaft it can break or give way losing ability to steer.
I lost steering cause a bad steering gear box on s four wheel drive 3/4 ton Dodge diesel and it was quiete the experience going down the highway at 70 mph.
I wouldn't blow off a steering issue for long would be my advice.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2010, 09:46 AM
JK Super Freak

If i were to get the PSC hydro assist
could i run the PSC Cylinder Economy Assist or would i need the full setup for the steering box? How much does a OEM steering box cost?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought a PSC setup about 5 or 6 years ago for my Blazer. I was told I had to get the whole setup and that is what I did. After owning it and my experience with it I'd like to talk you out of getting it. One if the engine dies while you are driving you will not be able to steer your vehicle cause the pump won't be running to operate that ram, makes this a huge safety issue if you are on a highway or road somewhere especially in a curve. Two, I didn't really notice any difference than when it was stock and if you are just going to run 35" or 37" tires in my opinion you don't need it of course depending on where you plan on taking your Jeep to wheel and how often you do that sort of thing such as extreme rock climbing.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

My Blazer had died with the PSC ram assist setup and I nearly went through a big Walgreens sign here in Tulsa cause I couldn't steer it.

Quick Reply: Steering Bind?