Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering angle?? Some Bump steer/ rough ride with bigger tires

Old 02-26-2017, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I Suspected the 4" Rancho lift comes with a drop pitman which will throw out your angles.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
As I Suspected the 4" Rancho lift comes with a drop pitman which will throw out your angles.
not to mention the added stress on the steering box, sector shaft..
Old 02-27-2017, 04:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears the lift kit I have comes with an adjustable front track bar with a good size bend in it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170227_083301.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	667377  
Old 02-27-2017, 08:49 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it just me or is the track bar and dragline angle off? If you have a drop pitman arm, you need to have to raise the track bar to compensate and flatten out the angle to match the draglink. If the angles are off it causes the suspension and steering to cycle differently causing bump steer and brake steer that can be dangerous. On these vehicles, drop pitman arms don't really do you any favors, the steering box is already marginally strong enough to handle big tires, throw a drop pitman arm on there and you make the situation worse.

At a 4" lift, you should be in decent shape without a draglink flip. There will be a little bump steer, but it shouldn't be anything that causes you to write a forum asking for help.

As a previous poster mentioned, a draglink flip kit will definitely flatten everything out and get rid of any bumpsteer and will make your steering input a little bit more precise, but I wouldn't worry about that until you get your current set up sorted, at 4" of lift you should drive just fine. Your draglink and track bar should be at the exact same angle, beginning and ended at the same distance relative to each other when the vehicle is parked on a level surface. If the geometry is correct, then look for worn components. I'm betting there is a geometry problem in this equation, but I could be wrong.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Since draglink flips were mentioned before it was noted that your kit has a drop pitman, just a heads-up that you should not run both. If you choose to swap to a flip instead, be sure to remove the drop and reinstall the stock pitman, and remove the trackbar bracket that came with the drop and install a new axle side bracket.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You went from a stock basic passenger car tire (Goodyear Wrangler) to a 10 ply M/T tire ??

That will be a completely different feeling (rough ride). Stiff sidewalls and twice as much rubber contacting the road.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Take the bends out of the equation.

Snap a single pic that shows both ends of both bars -- in the same pic. Open it in Paint or whatever, then draw straight lines from mounting point to mounting point. Easy to see just how parallel they are.

A flip will raise the axle end of both of these bars, keeping them parallel to each other, while flattening the angle they work at. (or in the case of a drop pitman, lower both bars from the frame end)
Both mounting points look pretty close to parallel. If anything maybe off a hair on the axle side?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170227_181433.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	667404   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170227_181455.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	667405  
Old 02-27-2017, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kaptkrappy
You went from a stock basic passenger car tire (Goodyear Wrangler) to a 10 ply M/T tire ??

That will be a completely different feeling (rough ride). Stiff sidewalls and twice as much rubber contacting the road.

It came with the 35s on it but yes I ran stocks for the few months we had snow. It didnt seem to ride as bad before with the 35s but the Roads were not as beat up when I got it as they are now with the frost heaves. Maybe things will be fine once the road smooth out a bit
Old 02-27-2017, 04:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver2010jk
Both mounting points look pretty close to parallel. If anything maybe off a hair on the axle side?
Hard to tell in seperate pics, but if you call it parallel its parallel.

Just pulled these off the internet as examples. Both ends of both bars, in the same pic. Then straight lines from mounting hole to mounting hole.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trackbar2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	667409
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front-endGeometryExample.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	667408

In the first one you can see that it has a flip - raised trackbar bracket at the axle, and the axle end of the draglink was moved up to the top of the knuckle. Assuming yours has a drop pitman, it should also have a bracket to move one end of the trackbar.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-27-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

I see what you are saying now. I will check it out. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Steering angle?? Some Bump steer/ rough ride with bigger tires