Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering After Lift

Old 01-29-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering After Lift

I just added my 33's (305-70-16 BFG KM2 with 16x8.5 MB Chaos 5 wheels) and a new TF 2.5 inch coil lift. With the lift I added a TF track bar as well as lower front and rear flexarms. I am also running Spidertrax 1.5 inch spacers (for looks). I am having trouble with a lot of play in my steering. Is there something easy that I can do do fix it? Do I need to add a steering stabilizer or is something that I added, possibly incorrectly, causing it? Thanx....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0319.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	122468  
Old 01-29-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Read "what is caster? how much do I need?" in the suspension faq's.

And then open the DIY alignment write-up. (there is an index stickied to the top of the write-ups area.)

I didn't read it all the way through, as 07blue said, definitely check for loose components. And then check the caster.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-29-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Lay under the front of the jeep and have someone move your steering wheel with the ignition off. Look at all of your joints / bolts. Usually something is loose. My money would be on one of your track bar bolts not being torqued to specs. Go back and torque everything up especally your control arms and Track bars. My next step would be to go back and go through the alignment steps.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Old 01-29-2011, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Were you sure to follow the instructions and loosen your control arm bolts and track bar bolts? Then jump up and down and push side to side on your Jeep while it has all 4 tires on the ground and sitting normally? Then you torque them. That should eliminate the flighty steering and the need for adjustable lowers.
Be absolutely sure all bolts are torqued to spec too.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you, I figured it out! The shop that installed my kit did not add the nut to the driver side of my new TF track bar. So the bolt was inserted but there was no nut to secure it. They drove out to my house to fix it and I am bringing it back to them for a complete readjust on Monday. I guess that is what I get for not installing it myself. Thank you all for your help, I love this site!!! Stay safe and HAVE FUN!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0319.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	122762
Old 01-30-2011, 09:16 AM
JK Super Freak

This is why you should never let anyone work on ur jeep unless u have too. Thank god u didnt get into an accident because of their shoddy work.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Glad you got it fixed and did it yourself !!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:20 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mea03
Thank you, I figured it out! The shop that installed my kit did not add the nut to the driver side of my new TF track bar. So the bolt was inserted but there was no nut to secure it. They drove out to my house to fix it and I am bringing it back to them for a complete readjust on Monday. I guess that is what I get for not installing it myself. Thank you all for your help, I love this site!!! Stay safe and HAVE FUN!!!

Attachment 122762
holy cow, that's a hell of an oversight - glad that you were able to find the problem and get it fixed before someone got hurt.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Geez, unbelievable the bolt didn't work its way out on the drive out from the shop.

Quick Reply: Steering After Lift