Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering advice - 2.5" lift with 35's

Old 01-20-2015, 08:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by cdown16
just recently removed the sway bar end link relocation brackets to install quick disconnect end links. I am noticing the bump steer issue and also just feels like my Jeep is all over the place while on the highway at higher speeds.
The flighty steering and the bumpsteer started 'after' you removed the sway bar brackets? Or the steering issues were there all along? (I don't see how that bracket would cause the issues, just clarifying)

Find an alignment shop that does free/cheap checks and post the numbers. (don't pay for an alignment, just get the printout).

Stuck to the top of the writeups area is a nice Deathwobble diagnosis written by Planman. It wouldn't hurt to read through it and maybe check the joints and torque.

As previously noted, low caster can causes the flighty steering. Verify what is actually installed before buying new parts, it could be that you have cams and they slipped, or adjustable arms that are not set correctly.

For the bumpsteer, having the trackbar and draglink too far off from parallel to each other is a common cause. Check for a front trackbar bracket and/or drop pitman arm. You might also take a picture of the front end that shows both ends of both of those bars, then draw a line between the mounting holes in Paint or an editor. Easy way to see what's going on there.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple milepost check...
Your tire inflation may be way too much.
Often, Tire Shops way over inflate w/their installs.
Try reducing your psi to gain more steering stability.
Again, very simple and free to check.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So luckily I have a 4wheelparts.com local shop near work. Took her in to get an opinion and they found that the sway bar end links were loose and that my drag link end needs to be replaced. I guess that bushing had wear. I also upgraded the steering stabilizer to a Rancho since the stocker looked kind of worn. It was cheap regardless and will look good.

I will check the tire pressure when I get home. How much percent off the max do I run typically?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:35 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdown16
So luckily I have a 4wheelparts.com local shop near work. Took her in to get an opinion and they found that the sway bar end links were loose and that my drag link end needs to be replaced. I guess that bushing had wear. I also upgraded the steering stabilizer to a Rancho since the stocker looked kind of worn. It was cheap regardless and will look good. I will check the tire pressure when I get home. How much percent off the max do I run typically?
Should be set around 30 psi. You can do a tire chalk test to dial it in perfectly. Do not air to max pressure stated on sidewalk.

Quick Reply: Steering advice - 2.5" lift with 35's