Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering advice - 2.5" lift with 35's

Old 01-20-2015, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering advice - 2.5" lift with 35's

Hey everyone, new to the steering modifications and need some advice. I have the AEV Dualsport XT Suspension system, and just recently removed the sway bar end link relocation brackets to install quick disconnect end links. I am noticing the bump steer issue and also just feels like my Jeep is all over the place while on the highway at higher speeds. I have been trying to research and do a ton of reading and wondering what I should do to fix this issue.

New steering stabilizer?
New tie rod and/or drag link?
Flip existing Tie Rod?
New track bar?

**My suspension came with an AEV rear track bar as well, not sure the relevance.
Thanks for any help so I can get this corrected, as my Jeep is my daily commuter.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Did you purchase the AEV correction brackets with that lift? I noticed a huge difference when I didn't have mine installed with it. I even went a little crazy and purchased the Fox ATS stabilizer. While some with argue it's a waste of money I also noticed a significant improvement with it installed. Between the brackets and the stabilizer I very happy with my steering. Also be sure your tires are at the right pressure as that can greatly affect your steering.

Last edited by blue project; 01-20-2015 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

The correction brackets for the sway bar end links, yes they were on there. I took them off when I installed quick disconnect end links...
Old 01-20-2015, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cdown16
The correction brackets for the sway bar end links, yes they were on there. I took them off when I installed quick disconnect end links...
No, he is referring to the AEV Geometry Correction brackets (or CA drop brackets). They lower the frame-side attachment points for both the front lower and upper control arms. They will help correct your caster, which was changed with the addition of taller coils. Getting your caster closer to stock specs will help with the "flighty" feeling.

Don't waste you money on a new steering stabilizer; surprisingly the stock ss works pretty well. You might want to relocated the ss to the top of the tie rod with a relocation bracket if you whee though.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry! No, I do not have those brackets. For $99, seems like a no-brainer if it will make a difference. Right now, I feel out of control on the highway.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you torqued everything back to specs?
Old 01-20-2015, 05:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry! No, I do not have those brackets. For $99, seems like a no-brainer if it will make a difference. Right now, I feel out of control on the highway.
Brackets will correct the caster (rotation of the axle front to back). Think of it like the front forks on a bicycle and how they angle forward. Imagine how it would steer if the forks pointed straight down. Same goes for the Cs on the axle ends. The upper and lower control arms are different lengths, so when you lift a Jeep, it causes the axle to rotate (forward in this case). Hence the flighty steering. It is usually more noticeable on a 2-door.

The brackets will rotate the axle back to a happy place. You also have the option of adjustable lower control arms, but the brackets are much easier to deal with, cost less, and don't require an alignment.

Also, check the torque on all the control arm and track bar bolts. And confirm that you torqued them when the Jeep was on the ground at ride height. Common issues are people don't loosen the bolts to put coils in or they torque the bolts with the Jeep off the ground. Both will cause bind in the bushings and lead to poor steering and premature wear on the bushings. And improperly torqued bolts will also cause steering issues.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

That makes sense. I have not checked the torque on any of the steering components as I purchased the vehicle with the lift installed already. I will do that when I get home today. Do you know the torque settings off hand, if not I can look them up?

So I do not need to replace anything, rather just buy these AEV brackets and relo the stabilizer if I wheel (which I do). Correct?
Old 01-20-2015, 05:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That makes sense. I have not checked the torque on any of the steering components as I purchased the vehicle with the lift installed already. I will do that when I get home today. Do you know the torque settings off hand, if not I can look them up?

So I do not need to replace anything, rather just buy these AEV brackets and relo the stabilizer if I wheel (which I do). Correct?
All bolts are 125 ft lbs except for the front upper control arms, which are 75 ft lbs. With the Jeep on the ground, loosen all the bolts and then re-torque. That way you ensure there is no bind in the bushings.

If you wheel, then you may want to consider adjustable lower control arms. The relo brackets hang low and eat a lot of trail. If you do go that route, you don't need anything else.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Excellent. Thanks for the specs and the information. I will get to work on that and purchase the brackets for now.

Quick Reply: Steering advice - 2.5" lift with 35's