Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering

Old 09-17-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering

I lifted my jeep 2" and now the alignment doesnt stay straight. I took it to the shop and they did a toe-in but the alignment still off and now my steering wheel shackes at 50 mph +. Thry said i needed to get a MOPAR Cam adjustment kit but i cant find it anywhere. Has anyone had this happen before???
Old 09-17-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't use cams! did you get front track bar alignment bracket with your lift?
Old 09-17-2011, 07:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jk4d2008
I lifted my jeep 2" and now the alignment doesnt stay straight. I took it to the shop and they did a toe-in but the alignment still off and now my steering wheel shackes at 50 mph +. Thry said i needed to get a MOPAR Cam adjustment kit but i cant find it anywhere. Has anyone had this happen before???
Do not use cams. Go to a shop who knows what they are doing (4x4 shop). I have a 2 1/2 lift and no problems with any of this. They need to correct the alignment. You should not need anything to correct your issues. Might want to check for loose trac bars or install of the lift. This can cause the steering wheel shaking.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I lifted my jeep 2" and now the alignment doesnt stay straight.
What does that mean? The steering wheel is off-center? The axle is off-center? It pulls to one side when driving? Post the specs from the alignment sheet.

With the lift, your caster is lower than stock. And with your stock control arms, they can not adjust the caster. (this is the cam bolts they suggested. Read "what is caster? How much do I need" in the steering section of the faq's).

With the lift, your axles will be pushed over to one side. And with your stock trackbars, they can not re-center them.

Did you get new links? If not, your swaybars are pointed down a bit. Won't affect the alignment, but something you might consider swapping out.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

The second one is before they tried to align it and the first one is after they messed with it. They said that they couldnt fix it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1021206389.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	211988   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3357959286.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	211989  
Old 09-17-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If all you did was add 2" of lift you do not need an alignment. You just need to center your steering wheel. Usually a shake at a certain speed is caused by a tire being out of balance. Did you change tire size as well?I do not know how to read those alignment sheets so can't help you there. With 2" of lift you should not need to adust camber or caster. If the tire is stock size then your toe should be set in about 1/16" to 1/8". I have found that as you go up in tire size, it is better to reduce toe in. On 35's, I ran them at 0 and on 37's I am running 1/8" toe out. This worked for me but does not work for everybody. The JK is damn finicky when it comes to shimmies and shakes. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like your driver side camber is outta spec, you need an adj ball joint on that side.
BUT I suggest that you fix the balljoint /and have them inspect the unit bearing on that side. Most likely the bj is blown,C-bent,unit bearing going bad and or bent axle housing.
Your castor is basically 2.8-3.0 degrees, you can fix that with adj ca's and or the dreaded cambolts if you want, but you should REALLY get your camber fixed before you address that. The camber being that far off is most likely the catalyst for your wobble.
Your toe should be somewhere between .10 to .20, easily fixed .
I suggest to bring it somewhere wher they know what the hell it takes to fix your issues, they apparently do not.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Looks like your driver side camber is outta spec, you need an adj ball joint on that side.
BUT I suggest that you fix the balljoint /and have them inspect the unit bearing on that side. Most likely the bj is blown,C-bent,unit bearing going bad and or bent axle housing.
Your castor is basically 2.8-3.0 degrees, you can fix that with adj ca's and or the dreaded cambolts if you want, but you should REALLY get your camber fixed before you address that. The camber being that far off is most likely the catalyst for your wobble.
Your toe should be somewhere between .10 to .20, easily fixed .
I suggest to bring it somewhere wher they know what the hell it takes to fix your issues, they apparently do not.
Is it a bad thing for me to drive it like that?
Old 09-17-2011, 10:40 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jk4d2008
Is it a bad thing for me to drive it like that?
Your tires are gonna get chewed up if you don't fix your camber/toe. You'll end up eating up 10,000m of life outta your tires in front in a couple thousand, fix as soon as possible.

Quick Reply: Steering