Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steel winch line vs synthetic line vehicle handling?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some wd-40 on the line will also prevent the rusting. You're quite correct though- if the line is abused and drug across objects (potentially even sheaves) it can eat away at the coating and will cause rust. I've had the issue on an atv that was abused and not maintained.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2013, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

... and synthetic is susceptible to internal wear from grit. If you recover in sand or mud be sure to wash out your synthetic cable after. It's also a good idea to let it dry before re-spooling so the drum doesn't rust.

And remember to take care when re-spooling synthetic. Criss-cross the drum to prevent turns from jamming between each other.

I have steel cable. After a recovery I clean, lube and re-spool (under tension) once I get home so it's ready to go for the next time needed.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls
My steel wire hasn't rusted in 3 years now and the winch has been wide open to the elements and routinely goes swimming......can you elaborate on how soon the steel wire will rust? Any experience to corroborate your statement besides the general "steel rusts", seems as though my Smittybilt winch cable is coated out of the factory.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
I have a steel winch cable well over 25 years old. The winch is from the 1950's. As long as you do not scrape it over rocks. It will not rust just sitting on the winch.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
... and synthetic is susceptible to internal wear from grit. If you recover in sand or mud be sure to wash out your synthetic cable after. It's also a good idea to let it dry before re-spooling so the drum doesn't rust.

And remember to take care when re-spooling synthetic. Criss-cross the drum to prevent turns from jamming between each other.

I have steel cable. After a recovery I clean, lube and re-spool (under tension) once I get home so it's ready to go for the next time needed.

what do you mean criss cross across the drum? could you elaborate some?
Old 12-12-2013, 12:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by monstermudderfive
what do you mean criss cross across the drum? could you elaborate some?
just google "proper spooling of synthetic winch line" it shows you how.

Quick Reply: Steel winch line vs synthetic line vehicle handling?