Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steel winch line vs synthetic line vehicle handling?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Steel winch line vs synthetic line vehicle handling?

I know most of the advantages of synthetic line, safer, lighter, stronger. It appears to be about 25 lbs lighter per 100' give or take a few pounds. My question is can you really feel 25 lbs up front during daily driving. I read one report where the guy claimed it handled so much better after going to synthetic, but I gotta say I noticed very little difference in handling on my 14 jkur when going from no winch to a VR10000 (about 100 lbs of added weight winch and plate) on my stock bumper. So for those who have switched do you notice any difference? thanks
Old 12-11-2013, 05:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

I don't think most people would notice the handling difference. It isn't like a JK is driving a Formula One course. Also want to add that if you switch to Hawse fairlead, there is another ten pounds or so saved.

Disadvantage of synth line you may not have heard: It holds water, so expect your drum to rust. Still, I prefer it.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't think you will notice much difference in handling, but adding a heavy winch and bumper will compress the springs some which depending on the coils could affect the ride some. I would factor the total weight of the winch and bumper. I do prefer the synthetic myself.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Disadvantage of synth line you may not have heard: It holds water, so expect your drum to rust. Still, I prefer it.
Which is exactly why I went with wire in Florida. Rains a lot.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also don't think you would notice the weight difference much while driving. But for the above mentioned safety reason I would choose synthetic. If you're worried about the line holding water and rusting the drum, you could always Cover the winch.

Between the ease of use and the safety factory, I like synthetic over steel every time. Let me know if you have any quetions!

-Ryan
Old 12-11-2013, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jadmt
I know most of the advantages of synthetic line, safer, lighter, stronger. It appears to be about 25 lbs lighter per 100' give or take a few pounds. My question is can you really feel 25 lbs up front during daily driving. I read one report where the guy claimed it handled so much better after going to synthetic, but I gotta say I noticed very little difference in handling on my 14 jkur when going from no winch to a VR10000 (about 100 lbs of added weight winch and plate) on my stock bumper. So for those who have switched do you notice any difference? thanks
Weight is the top reason I designed or chose a modular fit for my winch. I plug it into either the front or rear hitch when I think I will need it or leave it in the garage when I don't (sadly, most of the time). No need to haul an extra 100lbs all the time for no reason.

The other advantage is having the option to choose between a front or rear hitch in a few minutes.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rust

so... why not make the drum chrome or stainless?
Old 12-11-2013, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

the steel is going to rust either way...only way to get around the rust is to cover the winch...and who wants to stab themselves on the frays everytime you use the winch!

Last edited by gingrass179; 12-11-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Junkie

My steel wire hasn't rusted in 3 years now and the winch has been wide open to the elements and routinely goes swimming......can you elaborate on how soon the steel wire will rust? Any experience to corroborate your statement besides the general "steel rusts", seems as though my Smittybilt winch cable is coated out of the factory.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2013, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

sorry edited that...steel rusts...lol...if it is a well used piece it will be less susceptible to rust cause its not sitting in the same spot with pockets to hold moisture...and moisture is held in steel wire also just not as long as the synthetic

Quick Reply: Steel winch line vs synthetic line vehicle handling?