Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steel vs Alloy Wheels

Old 09-03-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKBully
I'll just buy 2 or 3 steelies for the price of 1 alloy and have a few wheels left as spares in case I manage to mangle a steelie on the trail!

Having lived and wheeled on both coasts, I will say that wheels take a bigger beating in the high horsepower, low traction east coast nonsense. I have broken an alloy in half running through the desert at 5 psi, I've broken the beads off of several steelies 'fixing' them so they'd hold air, and but have never torn a center out of one (which I did witness on the east coast).

The aluminum beadlocks I ran on the TJ with the 35s took the biggest beating. I was running 3-4 hammers trails a day, plus competing and they never ever leaked, burped or hiccuped.

Quick Reply: Steel vs Alloy Wheels