Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steel rim help

Old 03-27-2008, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel rim help

Ok, so I know this can not be right!!! I was told at a un named local shop that steel wheels (rock crawlers) will not fit the JK that the 4.5 back spacing will not work. Not to mention that 16's are to small do to the brake caliper and I had to go 17 or bigger. I know this is ish. He said that the 4.5 back spacing will make the wheels stick out to far past the fender flairs. He then proceeds to try and sale me a set of wheels and tires for 2500 dollars. I can go places that a Jeep can only dream about on my mountain bike before I drop that on wheels and tires. Heck I can do it faster too. Anyway can someone tell me the best steel rim to go with? I want to put 35's on my jeep and sale of the moabs with the 33's some day. Thanks for reading my grouchy rant.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:04 PM
JK Super Freak

I am running a 15"x8 (with a 3.75" backspacing) Pro Comp Rockcrawler rim, with a 33"x12.50 BFG....a set of five of these boys cost $900...strait from 4wheelparts.com...check out my photo gallery....where ever you went they are blowin smoke up your a$$!....BTW i also had no caliper modification to use the 15" rims
Old 03-27-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have (but not for long- for sale see sig) the steel rims 5x5 for JK. I am running 33's on them. Works just fine. Tires can get expensive, so depending on which you get plus tax, $2500 is not too far off.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Yea, They were trying really hard. I spend enough time reading this site that I knew better but I just couldn't belive what I was hearing. It was the same place by the way....Just a guy in there that I will never deal with again. How can they stand there and tell me that 16's are to small when half the JK's at the dealer have them stock????
Old 03-27-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thissideup
Yea, They were trying really hard. I spend enough time reading this site that I knew better but I just couldn't belive what I was hearing. It was the same place by the way....Just a guy in there that I will never deal with again. How can they stand there and tell me that 16's are to small when half the JK's at the dealer have them stock????
Yeah, the people I got them from knew they had aftermarket for the JK in 16" but didn't realize that they could come stock with 16". So I could see a bit of a learning curve for them. The JK's are still a bit new.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:49 PM
JK Super Freak

It's a conspiracy...to SQUEEZE as much money out off you as possible
Old 03-27-2008, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by x No Compromise Offroad x
It's a conspiracy...to SQUEEZE as much money out off you as possible
Well it works. Everytime I go in to the shop to buy something, I am already thinking and talking to them about the next two things I need. lol.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by thissideup
Ok, so I know this can not be right!!! I was told at a un named local shop that steel wheels (rock crawlers) will not fit the JK that the 4.5 back spacing will not work. Not to mention that 16's are to small do to the brake caliper and I had to go 17 or bigger. I know this is ish. He said that the 4.5 back spacing will make the wheels stick out to far past the fender flairs. He then proceeds to try and sale me a set of wheels and tires for 2500 dollars. I can go places that a Jeep can only dream about on my mountain bike before I drop that on wheels and tires. Heck I can do it faster too. Anyway can someone tell me the best steel rim to go with? I want to put 35's on my jeep and sale of the moabs with the 33's some day. Thanks for reading my grouchy rant.

Don't ever go there again...they are either stupid, or ignorant, or dishonest....pick one.....but, you should not use a shop that fits any of those three categories, convenient or not....they do not care about you except to suck your blood....run.

They were wrong on ALL counts....and gave BAD advice.

There are people running 15's....and 16's were stock as you know....so the need for 17's was doing you w/o lube right there.

4.5" BS is about PERFECT BS, as opposed to too little, so, AGAIN, sphincter ripping occurs.

Then he wants $2,500 instead of the cheap steel wheels and tires you wanted....so he was, once again, seeing if you'd swallow for him.

Bad mouth them to every one in town, and make it so honest competition might move in instead.

Last edited by TEEJ; 03-27-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:30 AM
JK Super Freak

You better belive I'll be talking smack. I felt dirty after he was done with me! I look at pics all the time trying to decide on what I want to do with the Jeep. I know steel fits. I will not be spending any more cash in that shop again. Sad thing is if I wasn't informed I may have belived him.

Quick Reply: Steel rim help