Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steel or Aluminum

Old 08-19-2010, 10:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel or Aluminum

Whats te big difference between steel and aluminum rims. Is it because there aren't as many styles to choose from with steel. The rims will get chewed up anyways from the off road activities, right? So why not go with the cheaper steelies? Is there truly an advantage of having aluminum?

thanks
Old 08-19-2010, 10:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Steel or Aluminum

A big advantage of aluminum is weight
Old 08-19-2010, 10:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Like a couple pounds per wheel? So if I was to go up in size tire and get aluminum rims, it could be around the same load on the drive train? correct or wrong?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

If something bad happens, steel wheels give/bend vs cast aluminum will crack/break.
If you're planning serious rock exploration, the pretty aluminum wheels will scratch gouge easily, the steel wheels you can touch up the paint occaisionally.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YOUKNOW
Like a couple pounds per wheel? So if I was to go up in size tire and get aluminum rims, it could be around the same load on the drive train? correct or wrong?
take a look here bud:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ghlight=wheels
Old 08-20-2010, 08:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4play
If you're planning serious rock exploration, the pretty aluminum wheels will scratch gouge easily, the steel wheels you can touch up the paint occaisionally.
I've smacked my AEV Pintler's pretty good in the rocks. They really take a beating. The only weak point was the valve stems. I now run the TMPS banded inside the wheel an use shorty stems. The Argent finish is really easy to touch up with paint - not that you really need to. Unlike steel wheels, I don't worry about rust!

Quick Reply: Steel or Aluminum