Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Starting with Tires...but how big

Old 08-15-2012, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting with Tires...but how big

Ok so I am very new to Jeeps... mostly muscle cars in my past. So I will apologize in advance.

I just bought my first ever Jeep... 09 X It needs new rubber right away. Of course I am dreaming of tires wheels and a lift but the pocket book dont let things like that happen in one purchase.

Not sure of all the details for the stock rims... This forum seems to be about the best source of information I have found so far... and yea I am in remote AZ so I just cant run into an off-road shop at the drop of a hat for advice LOL

Ultimately I would like to end up with a 2 to 4 in lift and nice wheels but the Jeep is just going to sit in my driveway if I do not put rubber on it soon...and for sure will not be on a trail. I am thinking 33X12.5? Then later (next year) wheels and shortly after that lift and new tires again? Can I go with a tire that big on the stock rims? Or should I just stay with a more standard size and simply wait till I can afford to do it all (big tires, wheels and lift) in one shot?

Any and all comments will be helpful
Old 08-15-2012, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know tons of people putting 33's without lift with minimal rubbing. If you stay with the stock wheels you will probably needs to get wheel spacers for the wider tires.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

My 08 had 285/70 R17 on the 17” stock wheels when I bought it. That comes out to 33x11.5.

No lift yet. They rub at full lock. Spacers are going on this weekend.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

I have 33s... Great size. They ride nice on road and do well offroad...i am currently trying to sell mine though because I decided I want 35s so I suggest if you plan on going big in the future...save yoirself the money and do it now...if you want some 33s...i can cut you a good deal though lol
Old 08-15-2012, 01:59 PM
JK Super Freak

I'd recommend that you look for a used set for a short-term solution. Perhaps a Wheel & Tire combo. I ran 285/75/16's on a stock suspension for over a year. I also got wheels with 4" back spacing at the time to acommodate the future lift. If you plan on bigger tires again soon, you might want to consider the wheels you want now that can support only buying them once. There are plenty og Jeepers out there swapping tires, you might find a deal.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I recommend a set of 32" take-offs from a Rubicon. They are inexpensive and will be great tires while you get acquainted with your Jeep, and you will have no rubbing or gear issues for now. Speedo might be off if your JK came with 29s but that is easy to fix with a tuner.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Ended up with 33x1250 on the stock rims... talked the dealer into a free spare.

Ended up with significant rub on the rear tires (discovered how little I knew... My jeep was already lifted ) Wheel spaces fixed the rub and did a bunch for the looks too.

Off to the next purchase

Thanks for the advice
Old 10-12-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Congratulations on your new tires. Any idea what rims you want to run? There are a lot of choices out there. It can actually make you crazy!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bonebreak98
Congratulations on your new tires. Any idea what rims you want to run? There are a lot of choices out there. It can actually make you crazy!
The whole thing is enough to make you crazy.

Stock rims seem to fit what I am doing right now... have just learned today that rims can influence performance so again more questions... probably going to stick with what I have and use the money for more important things like lockers or bumpers/winch. Not going to let looks drive my upgrading. Although I had a buddy (not Jeeper) tell me he could powder coat part of my rims to match my paint for a small small fee
Old 10-12-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

I was going to just powder coat my rims also, I liked the way they looked. Unfortunately I was going with 35" tires and in order to do so really need to run spacers. By time I powder coated them and bought good spacers it was just as cheap to buy new rims.

Quick Reply: Starting with Tires...but how big