Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Starting the the RedBeast build (2008 Rubicon)

Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting the the RedBeast build (2008 Rubicon)

So far I am in the prep stages for adding BFG MT KA2 37x12.5 R17 or 37x12.5 R16. Not sure if there is any huge benefit in wheel size except for the savings? I will be using this jeep for the DD but sometimes run it through the woods.

I installed a 3.25" Rough Country Suspension lift about 10 mmonths ago. Next I (not me)am adding 5.38 gears (auto trans).

I have read many messages and threads but still need suggestions and guidance.

Should I upgrade the axels? Dana 44 are pretty good but . . . ?
Should I upgrade the drive shaft . . . ?
Will I need whell spacers? The wheels are Black Rock Viper 900S with 4.5 backspacing.
There are a lot off things to be done I just rather do stuff in the right order. Is there any lists of things that must be done, should be done, and would be nice to do . . .?

I greatly appreciate any and all help.

RedBeast

Last edited by RedBeast; 01-04-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 PM
JK Super Freak

You will love the 5.38s

If you are not going to be doing some serious rock crawling and can limit your wheel spin when you are off road there is no need to upgrade from d-44 or to change out axels... in my opinion... however if you wheel with a lot of wheel spin you may want to change them as sooner or your axels will go, especially with the added torque of the 5.38

Yes upgrade your driveshaft(s) eventually they will fail if you are lifted and running 37s. its not if it is when. if you are a 2door do both if 4 door you can problably get away with just doing the front.

You should not need wheel spacers your back spacing should be fine.

Hope this helps... im sure others will chime in with their oppinons as well!!!!

Last but not least ENJOY!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5.13s would work just fine as well and have bigger ring and pinion.
I'd drive the stock 44 axels until they break.
No need to upgrade the shaft right away but it doesn't hurt... I'd go Tom Woods.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:02 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the advice!!! I am relatively new to jeep mods although I bought this brand new in 08. But it is time to kick it up a few notches. I plan on using superior gears and install kits(any thoughts on them?)

Are there any favorite websites you all use? I am in NY and surprisingly there really aren't any stores around to buy parts at that won't charge an arm and a leg . . .

Last edited by RedBeast; 01-05-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

With that lift I would budget now for a front DS so when it goes youll be ready or replace now and sell the stocker.

Just C Gusset and sleeve the 44 and go until it breaks(if it does)

Gearing wise either 5.13s or 5.38s (auto or manual) I always prefer the biggest ring/pinion size possible)

Also be prepared to change the trackbar and drag link because you will end up with bumper steer with that height lift and bigger tires.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks MikeyB!! I am still learning the lingo . . Front DS (Driveshaft)? I am tracking the C gusset but what is the sleeve? I was under the impression the 08 Rub axels are already sleeved? But then again, I am a rooky . . .
Old 01-05-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Why Tom Woods? Is that what you have? I have been talk with two different websites and one says don't change them and the other say change them? I need to here from you guys on the streets . . .

Last edited by RedBeast; 01-05-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

I have a Tom Woods front yea, planning on getting their rear as soon as I need it. I did a lot of research and just liked them the best. They really know their stuff and their custom made flanges are top notch. Plus they have a great warranty.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

Can they be installed by a novice, like me, or is it more complicated? I installed the suspension lift, pretty easy. I won't touch the gears!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Freak

I knew nothing about it and did it myself after reading everything I could find on drive shaft swaps. The biggest thing is you have to remove the existing pinion nuts with 1 1/4 and 1 1/8 socks, take off the crap stock flanges and put the new ones on, then put the pinion nuts back on.

It can be done, I took the plunge and it turned out fine; but only after I was about 70% sure I could do it. You'll need to rent a gear puller from an auto store to pull the flanges off, no big deal.

Quick Reply: Starting the the RedBeast build (2008 Rubicon)