Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Starting Problems

Old 09-11-2013, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RufusTheTank

Lets us know!
Sooo, I got my jeep back. Drove it for 2 days and BAM, no start again this morning. Well, actually 3 tries before it did start. Carmax would not install a battery becuz they said the load and grounding tested ok. But I don't trust that so am going to buy one myself and have it installed. Meantime, there is something I'm wondering tho.. Since neither the Dealer nor Carmax can seem to even replicate my starting prob, nor find anything wrong, I thought about what's different when I drive it?! Well, I play my music from my iPhone ALL THE TIME hooking it to the stereo with an audio chord so I can hear it thru my jeeps speakers. Could doing this possibly be causing some sort of short causing the intermittent no start issue? Or could it be pulling too much juice from the battery causing the no start? Just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 09-11-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK4Nat

Sooo, I got my jeep back. Drove it for 2 days and BAM, no start again this morning. Well, actually 3 tries before it did start. Carmax would not install a battery becuz they said the load and grounding tested ok. But I don't trust that so am going to buy one myself and have it installed. Meantime, there is something I'm wondering tho.. Since neither the Dealer nor Carmax can seem to even replicate my starting prob, nor find anything wrong, I thought about what's different when I drive it?! Well, I play my music from my iPhone ALL THE TIME hooking it to the stereo with an audio chord so I can hear it thru my jeeps speakers. Could doing this possibly be causing some sort of short causing the intermittent no start issue? Or could it be pulling too much juice from the battery causing the no start? Just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
I doubt it is a battery problem . 99% of the time it is a ground problem. Run a new ground wire from the battery to the Automator mount bolt. I think this might help?
Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just went through the same thing and the dealership charged me $200, guess what my deductible is on the warranty?!?! $200. Anyway. It was a ground, and they claimed to have to "build" a new ground cable, and then install it. I could have fixed it for way less but I'm away on business and don't have my tools!! Good Luck, let us know what your solution is!
Old 09-11-2013, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

my 07 sahara has starting issues sometimes but ive noticed its usually in the heat. i have an automatic and my trick is just to push the shifter forward slightly and it never fails starts up next try. cheap no $$$ way out.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dealership had mine for 3 weeks about 3 years ago. All they did was change a ground wire.

Quick Reply: Starting Problems