Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Starting Problems

Old 08-30-2013, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The connection you describe makes no sense.
I'm with you brother. This connection makes no electrical sense to me either.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure the dealer will sort it out. But since I see your Jeep is a 08, and Carmax is involved, you most likely just purchased a vehicle with a bad battery, that will most likely be replaced under warranty.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorrel
I'm sure the dealer will sort it out. But since I see your Jeep is a 08, and Carmax is involved, you most likely just purchased a vehicle with a bad battery, that will most likely be replaced under warranty.
Here's to hoping!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The connection you describe makes no sense.
Was a little under the influence when I made that post. Yeah that wouldn't work.

To the OP, try grounding you battery better. It worked for me.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:16 PM
JK Newbie

I have had the similar problem (as have countless others it seems...) Sounds like the gear selector switch, like the old neutral safety switch, I have always fixed the problem by moving the gear shift back and forth or starting it in neutral. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a 2007 Rubicon. I have owned her for about a month (today). She is giving me starting issues since the ver next day she rolled off the dealership floor. The dealership is picking her up from my work for the 4th in the 1 month I have owned her. They replaced the starter and cleaned some corrosion off the sway bar auto disconnect something. Does anyone have the same issue that could maybe recommend my dealership to assist me. I bought it from a Honda dealership and they have taken it to Chrysler at least twice to my knowledge. I know they are doing their best to help, but as of today I am on my 4th loaner and really want to keep the vehicle I bought in my garage. I am relatively new to owning a Jeep and I am not mechanically inclined, so any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated. I bought her with a after market alarm, after market radio and it looks like a 3 1/2" Rubicon Express lift, not sure if that helps. Thank you. Rebecca
Old 09-03-2013, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same issue and took it to the dealer 5 times and they said they fixed it and It allways did it again within a few days but finally the only thing that fixed it was replacing the trans. The dealers know of the issue and apparently chrysler even makes a kit to fix the problem but most dealer garages are full of Neanderthal parts changers that have no clue how to troubleshoot a few wires, my bet is that it is your gear indicator switch inside the trans and the only way they will be able to find out that it is is with a multimeter that's what it took for me to figure it out since the computer scanner couldn't.

Good luck and if they can't figure it out then print a few pages from a forum post about the trans switch and give it to them
Old 09-04-2013, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brian3033
There are several threads on this. I had this issue with my 08. After reading several threads I ran a 4 gauge ground wire from the battery to the alternator mounting bolt. This solution world for me as I haven't had this issue happen since. Hopefully this helps you out.
Just went through the same issues. This worked for me also. No starting problems since.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rebecca Kay
I own a 2007 Rubicon. I have owned her for about a month (today). She is giving me starting issues since the ver next day she rolled off the dealership floor. The dealership is picking her up from my work for the 4th in the 1 month I have owned her. They replaced the starter and cleaned some corrosion off the sway bar auto disconnect something. Does anyone have the same issue that could maybe recommend my dealership to assist me. I bought it from a Honda dealership and they have taken it to Chrysler at least twice to my knowledge. I know they are doing their best to help, but as of today I am on my 4th loaner and really want to keep the vehicle I bought in my garage. I am relatively new to owning a Jeep and I am not mechanically inclined, so any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated. I bought her with a after market alarm, after market radio and it looks like a 3 1/2" Rubicon Express lift, not sure if that helps. Thank you. Rebecca
Very similar story to mine... I have a new to me 1 1/2 mo old '08 JKU and the darn thing is in the shop as we speak for the same non-starting issue after a new starter was just installed a week ago! Im far from being mechanically inclined too but am keeping a running list of suggestions from this forum as the folks on here are awesomely smart!! Before I even think about driving my car home again I will be bitchily insisting they check every item on the list! Im on my 4th loaner too and although I get a full tank of gas each time, I want my jeep back now!!! Good luck to ya!!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 09-11-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK4Nat

Very similar story to mine... I have a new to me 1 1/2 mo old '08 JKU and the darn thing is in the shop as we speak for the same non-starting issue after a new starter was just installed a week ago! Im far from being mechanically inclined too but am keeping a running list of suggestions from this forum as the folks on here are awesomely smart!! Before I even think about driving my car home again I will be bitchily insisting they check every item on the list! Im on my 4th loaner too and although I get a full tank of gas each time, I want my jeep back now!!! Good luck to ya!!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Lets us know!

Quick Reply: Starting Problems