Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Starting my JK Salvage Project

Old 04-03-2009, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifted with old shoes

Lift installed. I'm afraid that when I put the new front bumper and winch on, I won't like the rake.

Took it to the body shop last night. New fender and door being fixed over the next week.

New wheels ordered today.

Bumpers and sliders next.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atl JK
I'm kinda surprised that they totalled that Jeep if it really doesn't have any frame damage.
I'm not really surprised at that. You have to remember that "total" is based on the cost of repairs, versus salvage difference.

If the Jeep wholesales at $20K, and repairs were $10K, then it makes sense to sell the salvage for $10K and eat the difference. So you ask...how could the repairs be $10K. Parts would probably HAVE to be all new, and are likely a good $4-6K of it. Then paint materials and time hit the rest. The body shops/estimator are going to bid it high as they always do on insurance work.

Nope....makes good sense even if it does drive all of our insurance rates up.

After buying my used Sahara, I almost wish I would have bought a salvage unit now so I could do up all my desired parts.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrillrod

No frame damage. The steering was jacked up also. I'm in the nickel and dime stage trying to get it to the body shop. I have to go through Chrysler for almost every part because after market stuff doesn't exist.

I found out that nickels and dimes really add up with this kind of project.

New pictures tomorrow.
So what are you going to do about insurance? I'd hate to have that much money tied up in it and only be able to run liability.

I'm sure that you already are, but make sure that you take really detailed pics and have detailed documentation of what was damaged and what the repairs you are doing. You'll need it to get it titled and if you ever want to sell it down the road. Being that its been totalled it'll bring the value down significantly. However, if you're selling it to an enthusiast who'll appreciate all of the work you've done to it, and you have good documentation of everything you've done, then you can get a decent amount of money for it.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default Rebuilt title and insurance

So what are you going to do about insurance? I'd hate to have that much money tied up in it and only be able to run liability.

I'm sure that you already are, but make sure that you take really detailed pics and have detailed documentation of what was damaged and what the repairs you are doing. You'll need it to get it titled and if you ever want to sell it down the road. Being that its been totalled it'll bring the value down significantly. However, if you're selling it to an enthusiast who'll appreciate all of the work you've done to it, and you have good documentation of everything you've done, then you can get a decent amount of money for it.
Full coverage is no problem here in Indiana. My TJ and Expedition both have rebuilt titles. I'm not sure how it works in other areas, but here you just have to show how it was repaired with receipts and documentation. It goes from a salvage title into a rebuilt title.

With this one not having the frame damaged, it makes the repairs pretty routine. Really besides the fender,I am just doing changes that a lot have you have done to yours or would like to do. But I will have less in mine that a lot have paid for stock.

Yes I realize that the rebuilt title will bring a stigma with it. However I imagine there are people that will see the big picture and I will be able to get my money out of it if I decide to sell it.

Hopefully that will be along time from now.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Your doing an awesome job on the re-build. But if it were me, I'd be chopping it up and making a trail rig outta it. Exo-skeleton, real roll cage, and drop in a Chevy 350 with a TH 400 automatic, get rid off all the electronic crap and put a flat dash with real gauges. But again, that's me, I can appreciate what your doing though.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Default project updated

Heres an update. Tires and wheels installed. XD series Addicts. I love the stance. Bumpers and sliders are ordered and will be installed in the next few weeks.

It drives better than I thought with the 37's.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Keep up the good work.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:44 AM
JK Jedi Master

I'm kinda surprised that they totalled that Jeep if it really doesn't have any frame damage.
You would be suprised at the Jk's at daveys that are totalled. Some barely show any damage. It seems if it gets the front steel inner fenders, its totalled.

One of the reason my next JK will be a salvaged title..

Nice work!
Old 06-23-2009, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Default LoD'ed UP!

OK, I'm getting close to getting this thing done, or at least to where I can rest a while. Forgive the street pics, just taken outside my office.

As you can see in the pics I am now fully "Locked and LoD'ed". Front Stubby, Rear with the tire carrier and the rails. (Please forgive the sloppy soft top storage, I haven't figured out how to make it look neat yet, any instructions would be greatly appreciated)

[IMG][/IMG]

The Bushwackers are taking some getting used to, but they are growing on me. The fronts are just massive looking, but they give great tire coverage and look like a beast coming down the highway at you.

Already tweaked the front drive shaft so I'm waiting on it again, but like I said, I'm getting close.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

From Beast to Beauty! Nice job! When I leave my soft top on which is rarely I velcro the rails to the sport cage up the slope so it doesn't force me to crease the top itself forcing it in behind the base of the sport cage. When I do remove mine, ( I don't have a problem storing everything) I fold it all up and remove it from the sport cage with the quick disconnects from: http://www.quadratec.com/products/11033_002.htm Mine work flawlessly!

Quick Reply: Starting my JK Salvage Project