Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Starting my JK Salvage Project

Old 03-10-2009, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thrillrod
When I found this jeep, I had a body shop guy and a few off road guys look at the damage to tell me what they thought. The conclusion I came up with was there was very little damage to things that I planned on keeping. The front dana 30 was destroyed. I replace it with a new 44. The front bumper was destroyed. I was going to replace that also. (still deciding). The side steps and fender flares on the driver side were destroyed. Again, I wanted different ones anyway.

So that leaves us with the fender, transmission pan and the door damage. I can deal with that.

So lets say you were looking at a 2007 Sahara. 19000 miles and in perfect condition. You look at the guys selling it and say " you keep the front bumper, front axle, and the side steps and fender flares on the driver side." And the guy agreed. Would he take $12000 for it. Would you give it?

I would, Hell, I did.

I know what some of you are saying, "but when you're done with this you will have a jeep with a rebuilt title."

You're right. I can deal wth that too.
nah I am just talking me personally... but for the $$$ I think you came out ahead and then some. Even if you have $20k in it you have a much better than stock rig.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default midwidth bumper?

Looking at the Lod (an Indiana company I think) and Shrockworks midwidth. Love them both, but I want the back/bumper tire carrier to match, so I'm looking for some input on which company has the best option.

Any opinions?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default New Rubber

Got 4 new tires shipped to me today. Nitto Dune Grapplers. 37x12.50x18. I know, I know. Not a popular tire on here. Especially here in the Hoosier state when it could snow or ice at just about anytime. But again I got a deal that I couldn't refuse and I want it to look a little different anyway. I know they look a little over the top with the flames.

I'm thinking of having them sipped. That would seem to correct some of the issues I have heard about. Any suggestions? Who does this? Any locals?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:20 PM
JK Junkie

i think you got a hell of a deal.. i would have done it too
Old 04-01-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good luck. Keep the pics coming.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default a lot of rubber

This is my first set of 37's

Do they always look bigger off the jeep?

Disregard the FOR SALE SIGN. I'M KEEPING THE KID.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, they always look bigger off the jeep. Especially when changing a tire!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:13 PM
JK Junkie

Sounds like it will turn out great....look forward to the build...as said, keep us updated with pics..
Old 04-01-2009, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm kinda surprised that they totalled that Jeep if it really doesn't have any frame damage.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default The frame

Originally Posted by Atl JK
I'm kinda surprised that they totalled that Jeep if it really doesn't have any frame damage.

No frame damage. The steering was jacked up also. I'm in the nickel and dime stage trying to get it to the body shop. I have to go through Chrysler for almost every part because after market stuff doesn't exist.

I found out that nickels and dimes really add up with this kind of project.

New pictures tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Starting my JK Salvage Project