Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Starting my build soon, looking for experienced builders to chime in

Old 06-21-2014, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roryslife
Im not an expert but I have learned from several mistakes.

1. Gas mileage and mods are completely contradictory. Your gas mileage will suck.

2. If you are going to do any rock trails that are narrow or require you to squeeze by objects, Bushwhackers suck. I pulled mine off after damaging them.

3. Exhaust spacers will interfere with any engine skid, especially if you get rocks and mud stuck up there. Id get rocks wedged between the exhaust and skid driving me crazy because of the rattling. I had a custom muffler shot redo my exhaust system for cheaper than the aftermarket systems. They totally clearanced the crossover while giving me driveshaft clearance.

4. Wheel spacers work. Torque then down and don't sweat it.

5. I bought the correction wedges, but didn't need them on my 3.5 Metalcloak lift. I suspect they are needed more for RK lifts which push the axle back.
Thanks for the input Roryslife:

1. The mileage statement was a sign that I'm still settling into this Jeep thing, with every passing day, I know I have to choose fun or mileage, I choose fun!.......to a point, the wife still has to drive it every day for the foreseeable future.

2. What did you replace them with?

3. Maybe I consider the y-pipe further.

4. There are widely varying opinions on this one, some strong convictions on both sides of the argument. I think what it comes down to for me is that I want to maintain as few things as possible on this Jeep. When I choose my mods, consideration will be given to how much attention I have to give to them after installation....Spacers are out.

5. Wedges out
Old 06-21-2014, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If u want to save some gas, get a superchips flashpaq (or other cpu controller) and run the gas saving mode. you'll gain anywhere from 1.5mpg to 2mpg. You sacrifice some power using it in that mode but it will save gas. And really, you have to look at it over a long period of time when you are looking at the savings. But thats how it works! Good luck.
PS you can also use the same cpu controller to increase performance. Using its highest octane performance tune you'll definitely notice an improvment.
You may see people dismissing tunes for mpg savings as well as for power, but trust me from my personal experience. The gains from tuning are noticeable. Both in mpg and in power, respectively.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
If u want to save some gas, get a superchips flashpaq (or other cpu controller) and run the gas saving mode. you'll gain anywhere from 1.5mpg to 2mpg. You sacrifice some power using it in that mode but it will save gas. And really, you have to look at it over a long period of time when you are looking at the savings. But thats how it works! Good luck.
PS you can also use the same cpu controller to increase performance. Using its highest octane performance tune you'll definitely notice an improvment.
You may see people dismissing tunes for mpg savings as well as for power, but trust me from my personal experience. The gains from tuning are noticeable. Both in mpg and in power, respectively.
Much appreciated, it's part of why I like the TrailDash, but never saw the "Economy Tune" till today while comparing to the Flashpaq
Old 06-21-2014, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LightEmUp
Much appreciated, it's part of why I like the TrailDash, but never saw the "Economy Tune" till today while comparing to the Flashpaq
Just got the Flashpaq for my 13 JKU and noticed a 2mpg increase on the economy tune and definite power increase using the 87 tune. I've read through some other forums that the stock programming is rather low for the engine capabilities.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input Roryslife:

1. The mileage statement was a sign that I'm still settling into this Jeep thing, with every passing day, I know I have to choose fun or mileage, I choose fun!.......to a point, the wife still has to drive it every day for the foreseeable future.

2. What did you replace them with?

3. Maybe I consider the y-pipe further.

4. There are widely varying opinions on this one, some strong convictions on both sides of the argument. I think what it comes down to for me is that I want to maintain as few things as possible on this Jeep. When I choose my mods, consideration will be given to how much attention I have to give to them after installation....Spacers are out.

5. Wedges out
2. Trimmed stock fenders cut with a heat gun and a utility knife. Free.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140621_154435.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	561056
Old 06-21-2014, 08:18 PM
JK Junkie

Funny you mentioned Jamborees and level 7 trails...

I spent a lot of time and money building a rig that can spin 37's and navigate those trails...

Most everyone had heavy bumpers, winches and more than half of us had 37's and upgraded axles

About 20% or so were trailered here

We drive 550 miles to get here and it handles fine on the highway, just need to stop more times for gas than last year

I'm all for the spend it once and do it right, but for 37's and the trails you mention you might have been better off starting with a non rubicon and building it up yourself

There were a lot less rubicons than I had expected

First step I took was to add the evo Protek skid plate system, mine has served me well and my mechanics remind me of that when their under my Jeep

Matthew
Old 06-21-2014, 09:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by robear3301
Just got the Flashpaq for my 13 JKU and noticed a 2mpg increase on the economy tune and definite power increase using the 87 tune. I've read through some other forums that the stock programming is rather low for the engine capabilities.
Encouraging words
Old 06-21-2014, 09:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Funny you mentioned Jamborees and level 7 trails...

I spent a lot of time and money building a rig that can spin 37's and navigate those trails...

Most everyone had heavy bumpers, winches and more than half of us had 37's and upgraded axles

About 20% or so were trailered here

We drive 550 miles to get here and it handles fine on the highway, just need to stop more times for gas than last year

I'm all for the spend it once and do it right, but for 37's and the trails you mention you might have been better off starting with a non rubicon and building it up yourself

There were a lot less rubicons than I had expected

First step I took was to add the evo Protek skid plate system, mine has served me well and my mechanics remind me of that when their under my Jeep

Matthew

This Jeep is meant for the wife and I to get out of the house after raising two sons, we'll do a little camping, see some sights, catch a few thrills with this Jeep. If I catch the bug and this turns into something long term for us as I expect. Then the next step is to get the 2018 diesel for me and go more aggressive with it.(Sport as you said) We'll see over the next couple of years what transpires, either way this particular Jeep needs to stay relatively tame, since it will likely remain her DD. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to stay on 35s with this one.

P.S. I like the Evo system as well.

Last edited by LightEmUp; 06-21-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

and TF recommends no more than 4.5" backspacing.
For 35's.

But you keep talking about the possibility of 37's, and you only want to buy once, so you either add spacers, or buy a lower backspace from the start. The sticky threads at the top have some recommendations in them.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you for the response Crawler, your post concerns me a little, since I thought I knew just what I was gonna do, and just how much I was gonna spend. Sleeves and a truss?, I need to study more, lol.

These are the things I needed to hear and consider. Regarding us towing to events, that was the exact plan to be executed in the next couple of years. The hope is we'll get a motor-home and put this on a trailer, I'm beginning to feel that maybe I should stay with 35's for now until we are ready to tow, and if this "Jeep thing" becomes all that we think and hope it will, then maybe get a little more aggressive with it. I'll read up some more on potential costs to do it all correctly the first time.
I won't rule out 37s yet, but I'm now leaning back towards 35s.

P.S. you runing the 3.8 or 3.6 motor?
I'm running a 3.8 its an 08 Unlimited X. Do worry yourself just take your time, research, SAVE LOL, and buy once. I'm a GM mechanic so I do all my own work and have been building race cars since I was 14 so I have learned to plan ahead and that way you only buy once. I would run sleeves and Truss to help maintain the integrity of the front differential, until you are ready to upgrade to a currie or something similar. Once you start to hit trails the front diff will be a weak point and if it were to break on a trail that would be one hell of a task to get off. I always like to address the weakest part of any vehicle that will leave me stranded and on these jeeps the Dana 30 is it. Truss, sleeves, and axles are the 3 best options until you are ready to dedicate the jeep into a full trail rig.

35's is probably your best option until you get what you want to tow, also I'd trim the the factory fenders instead of buying $500-$600 fenders that will probably get ripped off anyway. Save that cash for sleeves and truss of something else on you're list.

Quick Reply: Starting my build soon, looking for experienced builders to chime in