Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Starting to mod my Jeep

Old 02-03-2012 | 02:30 AM
JK Newbie

Default Starting to mod my Jeep

I have a 2door 6speed 2010 with 3.21 gearing. I've been researching for the past 2 years (been paying off those pesky student loans) to get ready to mod it and I just wanna check to make sure that my train of thought is right and to see if i'm missing anything important or if I should do it in a different order.

1) Sleeve and Gusset front Dana 30
2) New rims with 4.25" back spacing
3) Superchip
4) Full Traction 4" Ultimate Lift
I did the fender flare trim so I'm not sure how goofy my jeep will look with a 4inch lift and Rubicon tires for a few months...
5) Rear Coast drive shaft (what kind of maintenance goes with this?)
6) Regear to 4.88 and get a new carrier in the front.
7) 37" Falken Rocky Mountains A/T

And then in no particular order here...
AEV Snorkel
LOD Stubby Stinger
EVO Sliders
PJ Rear tire carrier
Rusty Cherry Bomb Exhaust
ARB Air compressor mounted in engine bay
Breather hose extension

Should I switch up the order on some of this stuff and why? Am I missing anything important? Thanks
Old 02-03-2012 | 06:54 AM
JK-Forum Founder

if you're really hoping to run 37's, i would be sure to throw in a set of front chromoly axle shafts in your list and well before i even thought about installing sleeves. the later is nice cheap insurance but far from necessary where as the potential of breaking an axle shaft is very real. i see that you know enough that a new carrier would be needed to install your gears and that you should leave it open. with a set of 37's, locking up your front 30 is a bad idea. also, i can only assume you are going with 4.88's because you know that the pinion gets to be really small on a 5.13 in and dana 30. looks like you've got the rest of your bases covered and the only other thing i would recommend is that you save up for an eventual front drive shaft swap. although you have a manual and your factory front shaft should last for a bit, the much steeper angle it'll be sitting out will cause the cv boot to fail prematurely as well. maybe not as fast as your rear shaft but, it'll still happen.
Old 02-03-2012 | 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks WOL! I'll make sure to add those to my list.
Old 02-03-2012 | 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

If I were to only go up to 35's, would i be able to forgo the chromoly shafts, front drive shaft, and go to the 3" lift? Also, if I decide to do 37's later, would a 3" lift fit it since my flares have been trimmed?
Old 02-03-2012 | 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

even a 2.5 will work with flats(as shown)
Click image for larger version

Name:	RKJK25MT_01.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	273676

so a 3-3.5'' would probably work really well for a more travel based set up
Old 02-03-2012 | 09:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ksuferrara
If I were to only go up to 35's, would i be able to forgo the chromoly shafts, front drive shaft, and go to the 3" lift? Also, if I decide to do 37's later, would a 3" lift fit it since my flares have been trimmed?
Im not saying you HAVE to but i broke my driver side axel shaft running 35 on a D30 axel. I know guys who have had better luck than I but i just dont like limping back from the trail in all the way through Honolulu traffic lol.

Quick Reply: Starting to mod my Jeep