Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Starting to get Death Wobble Sometimes

Old 02-01-2024, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to get Death Wobble Sometimes

I am a first time jeep owner and I bought a used 14 Wrangler with 114K and now its up to 124K . For the first 2 1/2 years no problems. Late 2022 started to get death wobble. Replaced the front track bar with a teraflex. Also when I bought the jeep I was told it has spacers and a small 2.5 inch lift. I live in Northern California and commute in to SF for work, where the roads I feel are worse than if taking off-road with all the worn uneven roads and potholes. Any recommendations? I have read where the ball joints might be bad.

Last edited by JeepNewbie14; 02-01-2024 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked for worn suspension components–especially links, joints, and bushings. Check the track bar bushings, control arm bushings, tie rods, ball joints, drag link, steering damper
Old 02-02-2024, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 392 Likes on 367 Posts

Here is a good video on DW and Inspection ..
Old 02-16-2024, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

When I bought my JK (with a blown engine) it had an oval track bar mount, so my first driving experience after fixing the engine was some crazy DW.
A little bump wound set it off, and oh boy the steering wheel danced!

Just an FYI, I understand that it's somewhat common for the bolts to become loose and allow some DW on the track bar mounts.
Most people run with a slightly larger dia bolt to take up some of the slack, and the fix for the mount would be to weld in an insert to fix the hole.

Old 02-25-2024, 12:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by JFish'n
When I bought my JK (with a blown engine) it had an oval track bar mount, so my first driving experience after fixing the engine was some crazy DW.
A little bump wound set it off, and oh boy the steering wheel danced!

Just an FYI, I understand that it's somewhat common for the bolts to become loose and allow some DW on the track bar mounts.
Most people run with a slightly larger dia bolt to take up some of the slack, and the fix for the mount would be to weld in an insert to fix the hole.
Years ago we fixed a friend's DW by replacing the trackbar hardware with 9/16" bolts (instead of the OEM metric) and welding 1/2" washers over the holes. 9/16" washers would fit loosely, where if you go through the bin and check the 1/2" washers over the 9/16" bolts, you should have no trouble finding some that are a tight fit. That did the trick.

Another friend had a wobble (not really DW) and it turned out to be his ball joints. I had a wobble (again, not DW) at about 275,000 miles in my JK and it turned out to be a bad shock.
The following users liked this post:
2010jksaha (03-01-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death wobble

I have a 2014 Rubicon which has an after market warranty. Dealer changed just about everything in the front end gave it back to me and said it was tires. I found the sway bar links incorrectly installed allowing the sway bar to migrate to the passenger side. When it does this it impacts the frame on drivers side instant death wobble. I think the suspension can take a bunch of wear but not side to side impacts. Check those links and ensure your sway bar is not impacting the frame

Quick Reply: Starting to get Death Wobble Sometimes