Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stalled in Water Won't Start

Old 03-05-2014, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Insurance companies will always say they can do reconditioned parts until you fight tooth and nail and INSIST they use NEW factory OEM parts. You must be straight up demanding though.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't settle for reconditioned lol
Old 03-05-2014, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is it a big concern not going new? And should I be concerned with the mechanics 3 year labor warranty?
Old 03-05-2014, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Snow
Is it a big concern not going new? And should I be concerned with the mechanics 3 year labor warranty?
I mean I just never heard of it, maybe it's common practice and will be just fine. :dunno:
Old 03-05-2014, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

What does a 3 year labor warranty mean? They will fix it for free for the next 3 years?
Old 03-05-2014, 05:19 PM
JK Junkie

Three year labor warranty is standard. Think of it like this- you've got reconditioned parts in the motor (no big deal) and out of the blue your valve cover cracks in half (simply an example). The warranty on the motor will cover the valve cover and your 3yr labor warranty will cover the mechanic's time to replace the cover.

I would go with it without concern. The 3yr warranty is standard.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Karls...thank you. I can't help but notice you're an insurance salesman. Do you handle auto? If so, how do you address a customer firmly requesting new OEM parts?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:12 PM
JK Junkie

Insurance salesman....that needs to be changed. I did health, life, etc but no auto. I do have quite a bit of firsthand experience with having things replaced by the insurance though. Basically they see it like this (as I was told by my adjuster)- was your vehicle brand new with zero miles? If not then why should they indemnify (make complete) your vehicle with parts that are better than what would 'complete' the vehicle? The used doors, mirrors, etc are a big point where people want to request new parts but with proper care on the shop's side, you as the consumer would never know the difference. My adjuster told me that if the customer is firm on new parts and the adjuster/ insurance are firm on used then the customer will typically either pay the difference or bring in their own parts. Shops can be picky about installing your parts and may not be obligated to offer a warranty on your part though.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can understand that perspective. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"They said they had to do one of these a year ago for another jeep and the customer was happy."

I get such a kick out of a statement like this! Of course nobody ever says " we did one of these a year ago, and the customer is pissed! Boy, does our work suck!" Just like the land rover dealer trying to convince me about a tech that screwed up a repair for me. The dealer told me "I have that tech work on my mother's LR every time it comes in." To which I responded, "do you really think that tech would screw up the bosses mother's car?". I guess I just see these things in a different light.

LOL!!!

Quick Reply: Stalled in Water Won't Start