Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stalled in Water Won't Start

Old 03-02-2014, 05:03 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepWranglerNation
Mind you checking the air filter is not enough, you need to remove the intake tubing which leads to the carb, Check all the small lines (rubber tubes etc) attached to the intake, Then mix a small amount of gasoline & methylated spirits (aka Denatured alcohol) and slowly pour a small amount into the carb along with other areas that may seem floored... don't over flow.. you just want to vaporize any water which maybe in or around your carb.
My JK has a carb
Old 03-02-2014, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepWranglerNation
Mind you checking the air filter is not enough, you need to remove the intake tubing which leads to the carb, Check all the small lines (rubber tubes etc) attached to the intake, Then mix a small amount of gasoline & methylated spirits (aka Denatured alcohol) and slowly pour a small amount into the carb along with other areas that may seem floored... don't over flow.. you just want to vaporize any water which maybe in or around your carb.
And to think we have all been trying to eek out a few more HP by adding CAI, exhaust, tuning, etc. Now that I have been informed that our JKs have carbs, I going to swap mine out for a Holley 4 barrel. Sweet. Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Last edited by MTMxRubi; 03-02-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How big was the puddle? And was this street driving or were you off road? If street driving and it ends up being hydro locked, insurance will cover it.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely pull the plugs and spin the motor with the plugs out. Just because the oil had little or no water doesn't mean you didn't pull water into the cylinders and lock it. Pulling the plugs is more important even than draining the oil because if you continue to try and crank it you may bend other things inside there like pushrods or piston rods. if you sucked water into even a few of the cylinders it can cause you to not be able to crank thus the click you are getting, but make no mistake, even though all you are hearing is a click, that starter is still trying to do its job and is trying like heck to spin that motor against the uncompromising force of the water which does not compress nearly as well as a cylinder full of fuel air mixture.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Ok. I'm pulling each plug. What's the best process to crank the engine?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Either use a breaker bar on the crank pulley or have somebody else bump it from inside the jeep with the key but you need to watch for the water and make sure it is all out before buttoning it back up again and trying to fire it up.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:58 AM
JK Junkie

It helps to squirt a little Carb/Throttle body cleaner in there as well. Helps to evaporate any water (small amount) that might be in there.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

i had a problem with my jeep where the check engine and various other lights would not turn off and i couldnt pass inspection, turns out there was an internal short in the main ecu most likely caused by water, im no mechanic but if you find that your not hydrolocked, maybe look towards electrical problems.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I pulled all the plugs and the inhibition will not crank it. I'm trying to manually crank it but I'm not having any luck.

When I try to turn the ignition it clicks once and I hear a hum from what could be the starter???

Not sure what to do next.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not looking good. I used some irrigation tubing to reach down into the cylinder and see if I could suck up water. I did. Out of 3 cylinders I got a mouthful from one of them.

I can't crank it manually or via the ignition and still just get a single click. I'm starting to think its hydrolocked.

Guess my next step is towing it to the dealer. I'm not sure the insurance is going to cover this even with it happening on the road.

Quick Reply: Stalled in Water Won't Start