Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stainless Cat Back Dynomax Exhaust System for 105 shipped?

Old 05-21-2012, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phottomatt

Well mine was the 39510 (dual exhaust) its going back tomorrow because of the drone at highway speeds, can't talk to each other over the sound it's so loud. I know its a different model but I can't imagine that the single would be any quieter.
The 39516 dumps before the axle so it's under the cab is why I asked that. I was either going to purchase the evolution or rock crawler exhaust
Old 05-21-2012, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phottomatt

Well mine was the 39510 (dual exhaust) its going back tomorrow because of the drone at highway speeds, can't talk to each other over the sound it's so loud. I know its a different model but I can't imagine that the single would be any quieter.
Actually, the drone is due to the length of the exhaust and the resonance of a specific frequency. A longer exhaust would increase the rpm of the resonance (drone) therefore it occurs at a higher rpm than what is normal cruising
Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J1nx93
Since a bunch of you all purchased the 39516 evolution exhaust I'll post in here. Are you all experiencing any droning in the cab, say at interstate speeds?
Depends on a couple factors, but with 4.10s, 35s, RPMs around 1.5k and freeway speeds, there's definitely a loud drone. I haven't had the doors/top back on since I got the Dynomax Evo Comp (39516) installed so I don't know how truly loud it is. With OD off and RPMs around 2.5k+, there's very little drone.

Originally Posted by JK-Firecracker
Actually, the drone is due to the length of the exhaust and the resonance of a specific frequency. A longer exhaust would increase the rpm of the resonance (drone) therefore it occurs at a higher rpm than what is normal cruising
With the 39516, the higher the RPM, the less drone/quieter sound. Another factor with the 39516 is the exhaust dumps before the rear axle and the tip is pointed straight down which probably bounces the sound too. I'm probably going to add the pipe that dumps out behind the axle.

Last edited by TRAUMAhead; 05-21-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got a post on my old forum, www.mightytitans.com, that explains it quite well. As well as how to change the RPM at which drone occurs. I'll try to find it and copy it over here.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Firecracker
I looked at your link but didn't see anything relating to this. What I meant by highway speeds was at 65-70mph in 6th gear its at 2000 - 2200 rpm and very loud, yes it does get quieter with higher rpm so I tried 5th. At 65-70mph 5th gear, 2300-2500 still quite loud. I'm not willing to drive at 65mph in fourth gear and 3000rpm just to get rid of the noise. Keep in mind this is all on level ground, as soon as you start up hill all bets are off, its WAY too loud, for me anyway. I would be interested in seeing your write-up tho.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone know if the rebate debit card can be used anywhere or only for Dynomax products?
Old 06-02-2012, 05:38 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by imacb278
Does anyone know if the rebate debit card can be used anywhere or only for Dynomax products?
Just about anywhere. Using others in the past, I couldn't use at a Costco.
Enjoy!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got the Evolution series 39516 a few weeks ago. I've had it on for a couple of weeks now and love it. Removing the old exhaust was the hardest part of the job. I have found out that the single bolt clamp will not stay tight without using an impact. Also if you are running a evap skid there is an issue with the dump before the axle hanger. There is no way to use the hanger bracket that mounts to the cross frame supplied with the exhaust. I ended up cutting the hanger rod off of the small exit pipe. I then used a different style hanger bolted to the cross frame and welded the hanger to the back of the muffler. I have also been through TN emissions without a problem since installed.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

took advantage of the amazon pricing and dynomax promotion and purchased the 39510. Went on without an issue, right side is slightly lower as most have been saying. Sound on acceleration is about as expected and what I was looking for but the drone is god awful between about 2000-2500rpm when letting off the gas or just coasting along in that range. Those who have returned with the dynomax 90-day guarantee how much of a pain was that? Did do you have to pay the return shipping? Any more info regarding this would be appreciated thanks guys!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

i have the 39510 on my 2 door. i did not put the chrome tips on and i'm thinking of painting it black. it is loud with the top off. but i will live with it for now since i threw my stock muffler away. what if you put a glasspack in front of the muffler? or is that even possible?

Quick Reply: Stainless Cat Back Dynomax Exhaust System for 105 shipped?