Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Squeeking?

Old 05-08-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u ever check to see if there is any heat build up on the wheel????

if there is heat, u will be able to tell the diference in the other wheels, it is possible to have a wheel bearing going out or as simple as brake pads
Old 05-08-2010, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jk20084p
The brakes were verified last week by the dealer, they removed the wheels and checked, unless you mean the inner "drum" of the ebrake, I think they're reluctant to opening that up, is it difficult to open and put back together after ?
this is not hard to take off at all.

with wheel off u will need to remove the main brake pads and calliper assembly, just make sure u do not loose the metal clips the pads slide into, the caliper is only 2 bolts and the calliper bracket which is another 2 bolts, the bracket bolts can be a little stubborn to remove. to remove the drum itself, u may have to give it some love taps with a mallet and just pull it straight off.. all it can take is dirt, mud, debris, etc.... to get into the drum itself in between the pads and drum, then u can clean the inside of the drum and clean the pads off

now DO NOT go messing around inside of the drum wth the springs and what not, that is a job especially if u have never messed wth drum brakes. just stick to cleaning and inspection

something else to consider if the sound is on the rear:
if u have a slightly bent axle, the wheel and tire will have a slight wobble to it, when it wobbles it will squeel the brake pads. the squeel is how i found out my rear axle was bent. i couldnt notice the wobble but it was enough to make the brake pads rub against the rotor and the sound stopped when the brakes were aplied.

u still have not said, i dont think, where the sound is, is the front or rear?

if all else fails, i say replace the brake pads. i know u say they are fine, but if im not mistaken, some brake pads just have a noise to them.

Last edited by captjay; 05-08-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update?
Old 05-08-2010, 07:57 PM
JK Freak

I've been experiencing similar squeaking and unpleasant sounds. Found these solutions this week>https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...shaft-Help-plz

My best guess would be your drive shafts are in need of some grease.

Last edited by runit3; 05-08-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:05 PM
-

Originally Posted by captjay
something else to consider if the sound is on the rear:
if u have a slightly bent axle, the wheel and tire will have a slight wobble to it, when it wobbles it will squeel the brake pads. the squeel is how i found out my rear axle was bent. i couldnt notice the wobble but it was enough to make the brake pads rub against the rotor and the sound stopped when the brakes were aplied.

u still have not said, i dont think, where the sound is, is the front or rear?
The bent axle is I guess what the dealer thinks and wants to check since he checked the rest, and does not say more before checking.... it is in the rear, but not clear on which side ... I hear it not loud at all, except with windows down (still have my hard top on...), but then it is very loud and annoying....

Rainy day today in Montreal area, no noise but if it does it tomorrow, I'll stop by the dealer .

Last edited by jk20084p; 05-09-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jk20084p
The bent axle is I guess what the dealer thinks and wants to check since he checked the rest, and does not say more before checking.... it is in the rear, but not clear on which side ... I hear it not loud at all, except with windows down (still have my hard top on...), but then it is very loud and annoying....

Rainy day today in Montreal area, no noise but if it does it tomorrow, I'll stop by the dealer .
well goodluck to ya man, hope u get it figured out. maybe something some of us have posted has been usefull to you
Old 05-09-2010, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bone
Anybody else had this. When I'm driving down the road, I can hear a squeeking noise, not sure where it's coming from. If I tap the brake, it stops. As soon as I left off the brake, it starts again. It's really annoying and worries me. Could this be a wheel bearing going bad? Any ideas?
It's that damn rear seat! It's the springs in the cushion! Seriously!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mediocre69
I had a similar issue caused by a small pebble and stick that got wedged between the brake dust shield and the rotor. It was rubbing on the rotor/dust shield. I had to remove the front rotor completely to get it out.

It started about a week after I had been off roading in some muddy water so I took it to the dealer thinking couldn't be related and that it was probably a unit bearing. It cost me an $89 inspection fee for them to take it apart and tell me to clean it better after mudding.
I had a similar issue after wheeling through some deep muddy water. I was able to avoid taking it apart by swaying the truck side to side (taking wide arking swings with the wheel) as I went down smooth parts of the trail. That little extra flexing helped work the rock free.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:54 AM
JK Freak

Good luck man. I just finished a squeek diagnosis that came back to a bad shock. What a pain.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 AM
-

Ok, think its over now, and no pain, cost $51 only. It was the e-brake pad moving up and down and squiking on the back panel. I barely had any e-brake because the pads were kinda loose, and even expanding by pulling the lever, they barely reached the drum. When roling, they were moving inside. There was about no debris in there, very little sand and a few grass bits caught in the spring, but it was all rusted !! pads, spring and all...

$51 including taxes, dismantled all parts, cleaned, buffed, and driving from dealer to work this morning; no more noise ! Hoping it doesn't come back !!

Thanks for all very good suggestions ! and please don't ask why the dealer didn't open them before.... please

Quick Reply: Squeeking?