Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Squeeking?

Old 05-04-2010, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeking?

Anybody else had this. When I'm driving down the road, I can hear a squeeking noise, not sure where it's coming from. If I tap the brake, it stops. As soon as I left off the brake, it starts again. It's really annoying and worries me. Could this be a wheel bearing going bad? Any ideas?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bone
Anybody else had this. When I'm driving down the road, I can hear a squeeking noise, not sure where it's coming from. If I tap the brake, it stops. As soon as I left off the brake, it starts again. It's really annoying and worries me. Could this be a wheel bearing going bad? Any ideas?
Do you need brakes ? Isn't there a warning squeak on the brakes when they are close ?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

No, I definitely don't need brakes. I know that sound all too well, but this is not it. This is a steady squeek when I'm driving. I guess brakes can cause that too, but this is not in the brakes.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

I know this sounds(no pun intended) wierd...but lean forward in your seat without applying the brakes...if it stops then its probably your seat height adjustment bar. It drove me crazy for months.

Dave
Old 05-05-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a similar issue caused by a small pebble and stick that got wedged between the brake dust shield and the rotor. It was rubbing on the rotor/dust shield. I had to remove the front rotor completely to get it out.

It started about a week after I had been off roading in some muddy water so I took it to the dealer thinking couldn't be related and that it was probably a unit bearing. It cost me an $89 inspection fee for them to take it apart and tell me to clean it better after mudding.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FoggyDave
I know this sounds(no pun intended) wierd...but lean forward in your seat without applying the brakes...if it stops then its probably your seat height adjustment bar. It drove me crazy for months.

Dave
I have a base model X. My seats do not have height adjustment!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:50 PM
-

I have the noise for 7 months now, dealer consulted, but the Jeep never does it at the dealer... seems it stops when it rains... the dealer dismounted the rear wheels (I am sure now it comes from rear, not certain of which side) and inspected, found nothing. He asks that I stop by when it does it and they will identify it. They suspect it is somenthing to do with the diff.

I would say it sounds like an old wheelbarrow, and the sound changes to a knocking when I push the brakes, and then changes again as I am near stop. The sound is clear outside of the Jeep (window down, when there is a wall to reverb) but not transmitted by the body itself.... people turn their head to the sound now, it is embarassing....

I'll keep you posted when I see the dealer. I have 24000Km on the Jeep.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default It's a jeep thang, don't worry about it

I've had this, everytime I think I figured it out, not it....

Here are some of the common culprits I've found

Take your glove box off, check if anything is stuck there

there are two bolts on the top of the dash, right up next to the windshield, they're covered by these plastic door things, 10mm bolts

middle console screws, they come loose

rock guards in the fenders also come loose

At the end I just gave up and turn up the radio, I just live with it, like I said, it's a jeep thing
Old 05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
-

Oh no, my noise is clearly related to the speed of rotation of the wheels, really sounds like a wheelbarrow laking grease... I also have the classic noise of the doors, but this one I don't even notice anymore....

Last edited by jk20084p; 05-06-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

Lets get some more description so we can properly hypothesize (sp?) this....

Does the sound pulsate?
Does the sound change pitch or speed with vehicle speed?
It it a metal on metal sound?
Does the sound change with oscillation of the suspension?
Do your rims get hot near the center after driving at speed?

Things we know:

Coming from the rear end.
Changes when brakes are applied.

Quick Reply: Squeeking?