Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Squeaky Wheels?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Wheels?

I just got my new set of 33" Duratracs installed. I have been having a squeak coming from the rear passenger side of the Jeep. I noticed a slight squeak after my last off roading trip two weeks ago. Sounds like a warped rotor rubbing on the break pads. Since I've had the new wheels and tires put on, the noise has gotten worse. I've checked for any obvious rubbing, but can't see any. I'd really appreciate any help. My wife is getting nervous about our drive to the beach this weekend and I'd hate to have to leave the Jeep at home
Old 06-06-2011, 02:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked your rear pads for wear? The rear pads seem to wear pre-mature due to the ESP.

Did you go wheeling after your install? you may have a rock that kicked up between the pad/rotor??

Are you running stock rims? If you are, and I know you stated you checked for rubbing, but have a closer look at your rear swaybar and rear sway links to see if you have any rubbing. You may need to invest in a set of wheel spacers.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have not checked my rear pads for wear. I am pretty limited on what I can do myself in the apartment garage. I might have the shop take a look at them. I bought it used, with 8000 miles, and now I'm at about 17100miles. I've never changed the pads.

I put the new wheels and tires on after my last trip. I'll see if I can see any signs of scaring on the rotor.

I got new wheels. They are 4.25" back spacing. I think they should be fine. I dont get any rubbing with the tires at full lock. Is there anywhere I should look for rubbing?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bernigoober
I have not checked my rear pads for wear. I am pretty limited on what I can do myself in the apartment garage. I might have the shop take a look at them. I bought it used, with 8000 miles, and now I'm at about 17100miles. I've never changed the pads.

I put the new wheels and tires on after my last trip. I'll see if I can see any signs of scaring on the rotor.

I got new wheels. They are 4.25" back spacing. I think they should be fine. I dont get any rubbing with the tires at full lock. Is there anywhere I should look for rubbing?
Only place for rubbing where the noise is coming from (rear passenger) is your swaybar links but with 4.25" BS your rim is sitting out far enough, so I would look more at your brakes.

It does not take much to check your pads...if you have a good friend with a Jackstand and driveway....ask him if you can borrow his driveway and jackstand and take the rear tire(s) off and you can have a quick look at the pad thickness as well as a good look to see if you have something stuck between the pad/rotor.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernigoober
I just got my new set of 33" Duratracs installed. I have been having a squeak coming from the rear passenger side of the Jeep. I noticed a slight squeak after my last off roading trip two weeks ago. Sounds like a warped rotor rubbing on the break pads. Since I've had the new wheels and tires put on, the noise has gotten worse. I've checked for any obvious rubbing, but can't see any. I'd really appreciate any help. My wife is getting nervous about our drive to the beach this weekend and I'd hate to have to leave the Jeep at home
I would hate for you to leave the jeep home as well... As stated above, I would def check the brake pads. That's usually the first sign of the brakes going... Also check for mud as well....
Old 06-06-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll see what I can find tonight. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the callers. I took it for a spin and it seems to come and go with cornering. I'll try and blast it with a hose at work to see if I can get any crap out of there. If that doesn't work ill try and jack it up at my buddy's place and take a closer look. I'll try to use the wife's car until I figure something out.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Wheels?