Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Squeaky Warn Spare Tire Mount

Old 10-19-2007, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Warn Spare Tire Mount

I just got my JK back from having a 3" lift, 35" tires, and Warn Rock bumpers front and rear with a spare tire mount. There is a constant squeaking coming from the rear spare tire mount and I took it back in to have the lift kit re-torqued and the shop says this squeaking is normal.

I've tightened the spare on the mount as well as all of the mounting points and nothing is loose. I can tell when I drive that the squeaking is coming from the tire vibrating on the mount.

Anyone have any suggestions - besides turning the CD player up louder?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same Warn mount in rear - mine was very squeaky as well. I tried several things with the spacer but no luck. Ultimately what I did was -

buy a rubber stopper about 2 inches in diameter - drill a hole in the bottom bar - place the stopper between the bottom bar and bumper. The stopper is tight between the swing part and the bumper so it stops the squeaking a lot.

I can send a picture later.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get behind it and hit the tire with your hand to locate the squeak. It is more than likely the latching mechanism or the arm sitting on its resting block. I dont have a Warn, but hate squeaks. I thought mine (RockHard 4x4) was due to the tire as well until I got back there and tested it out some. After a couple hits and some soft-sided velcro.. I am rattle/sqeak free.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

I slid a wooden shim between the bottom bar and the bumper and that had no effect on the squeak. There is no movement of the swing out arm and the rear bumper with the shim in place. I'll give the rubber stopper idea a try though, thanks.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

I've also gone back there and whacked pretty hard with my hand to get it to squeak but so far no luck.

My next move was to have a buddy sit in back with the read window open while I drive it to see if we can locate the sourse.

I'm with you on squeaks - they drive me nuts.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

You could easily take the tire off and drive around and see if there are still squeaks. That would let you know if it was wheel/carrier related or carrier related.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call up Warn Customer Service and complain. If they don't do anything then make them take it back under warranty and buy something else. For the money they charge for their bumpers it shouldn't make noise at all. They are supposed to be the gold standard from which everyone else is judged so make them eat it.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:00 PM
JK Freak

Are you talking about the actual shaft holding the tire or where the swing arm connects to to the bumper? Mine used to squeek somethin awful at the latch. One day I was looking at pictures in the gallery and came across a pic that showed a polyurethane sleeve that went on the end of the swing arm where it latches. I didnt have this so I called Quadratec and asked if I was supposed to, they called Warn and had it shipped in about 3 days. No more squeeking
Old 11-02-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

I have this bumper/carrier with the PU bushing and the pin rattles like hell. I am going to figure out a way to make that thing stop. drives me nuts. will post when I am done with something that works.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

Location: Los Angeles, California, United States, United States
Default Re: Squeaky Warn Tire Carrier

I had the exact same problem that bugged me for about a year. The latch pin loosens slightly then causes squeaking between the pin and the bumper as well as the pin and the carrier latch. The poly sleeve at the end of the carrier only helps a little, as does longer tire bump stops to put more outward pressure on the carrier. The root cause is a bad design...the low pivot and latch allow the tire to move back and forth a lot. My solution? Or-fab tire carrier which is DEAD QUIET and has a place for jerry cans and hi-lift. The Warn carrier is sitting in my garage and is quiet now...anyone want it?

Quick Reply: Squeaky Warn Spare Tire Mount