Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

squeaky driveshaft question

Old 09-10-2011, 04:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you take the dust cover's pinion? When I first installed mine I didn't take them off and they made the exact noise you describe.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman

Tom Woods will build your driveshaft with spicer joints if you ask for them. If you buy them from qtec they will have their gold joints. It is best if you are interested in tw shafts to call in and get what you want. They ship out around 1000 driveshafts a month just for the jk model alone so if there were a wide spread problem with the joints there would be a lot more then a couple of threads.

After market ds should be greased often, at oil changes and after hard wheeling, sand runs, and if you are in deep water.
Dirtman don't forget about COAST driveshafts. Little bit cheaper and northridge has them with free shipping
Old 09-10-2011, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alright, I found the needle adapter at autozone for 3 bucks, crawled under the Jeep and pulled the front DS. I lubed the regular zerks first then attached the needle and attempted to lube the center zerk but it seemed that more lube came back out of the hole than I was putting in. I could feel the needle depressing the ball berring inside the zerk but it just seemed as if the lube wasnt goin in all that much. I did the same to the rear shaft and TA-DA no more squeaky sounds, however I am concerned about the lack of lube that seemed to penetrate the "inside" zerk on the double cardan... any thoughts?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure to get this needle adapter......

Click image for larger version

Name:	needle zerk.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	209350

Some of the other kinds don't tend to depress the center enough. Shove it about an inch in, grease, work the joint, repeat a few times till you can tell its well greased by looking where the cv is put together and see the grease coming out.

Also, you'll find out after awhile you may need to replace the needle zerk. They tend to get ground down in that joint depending on the amount of lift you have and the angle the double carden is kicking down.

Last edited by mkjeep; 09-10-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:18 PM
JK Junkie

i just remove the needle zerk and put one of the normal zerks in it's place ,lube it up nice then switch them back.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fish
i just remove the needle zerk and put one of the normal zerks in it's place ,lube it up nice then switch them back.

Or This!^^^^^^^

Provided your needle zerks aren't ground down flat like mine cant get a socket on them and your too lazy to change them out.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Tom Woods will build your driveshaft with spicer joints if you ask for them. If you buy them from qtec they will have their gold joints. It is best if you are interested in tw shafts to call in and get what you want. They ship out around 1000 driveshafts a month just for the jk model alone so if there were a wide spread problem with the joints there would be a lot more then a couple of threads.

After market ds should be greased often, at oil changes and after hard wheeling, sand runs, and if you are in deep water.
That's the problem, you have to ask for them. Other manufacturers use them as standard equipment. I did not know this when I ordered mine direct from TW and got the "yellow" joints.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thats the one I got MK, so Ill pull a repeat of yesterday and pull it again see if it works better this time OR Ill try the removal of the needle zerk and put a regular one on just for lubrication which sounds like an awesome idea! Thanks for all the help fellas
Old 09-20-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Fail

So I went on a trail ride with the local club the other day and on the way home I began to feel a serious vibration through the floorboards. As it turns out, and as some of you saw coming, my CV on my rear DS was failing... The sad part is I only put 6k mi. on it before it started its downward spiral. I got a hold of Tom Woods and they said they would fix it for free, then they cam back and said $100 cause its out of warranty. Anyhow, just wanted to let ya'll know that your insights were correct, it was a failing CV joint.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t65eVJGBgxk

Quick Reply: squeaky driveshaft question