Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

squeaky driveshaft question

Old 09-09-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaky driveshaft question

I have a quick question for ya'll. I have front and rear Tom Woods double cardan (CV) drive shafts and havent lubed them since install (about 4000 miles ago). I also have a rather loud squeaking coming from under the Jeep while moving, that increases in frequency as I accelerate and correspondingly decreases when I decelerate. I think that the drive shaft U-joints are causing all this squeaking under my Jeep. I was just gonna crawl under there tomorrow and lube em up real good with some Mobil 1 lithium grease via my grease gun, but I was wondering if this squeaking is a sign of a failing U-joint or just an under lubed one. Thanks for any and all responses guys!
Old 09-09-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

[h=3]Not impressed with Tom Woods[/h]
Old 09-09-2011, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was another thread on TW DS and there were a lot of complaints about them particularly not being lubed from the factory and failing prematurely. You can lube the u-joints fairly easily but you will need to pull both shafts to access the CV joint on the double cardon to lube them. And you will need a needle tip fitting for your grease gun to grease them. They are impossible to access without pulling them. Don't wait even a day to take care of this.

Also, they do not use Spicer u-joints.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:39 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You will probably want to pull the shafts off so you can get to the needle zerk (you will need a special adapter for it) inside the double cardan end. While they are out, grease all the zerks, rotate/manipulate all 4 joints to check for binding, and extend/contract to check the slip joints.

To narrow down your problem, you could just pull one shaft off at a time and go for a quick drive to listen for the noise.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok thanks guys. So it doesnt sound like a failing joint to ya'll, just a un-lubed one? Any particular needle tip for the center zerk? And what size zerk fittings are the others? Sorry for all the secondary questions, I just wanna get this right the first time, but then again it sounds like I kinda messed up already by going with TW. Ill be pulling them in the AM to do this, Ill let you know how it all pans out. Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Any particular needle tip for the center zerk?
First post in this thread
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ht=needle+zerk
Old 09-09-2011, 09:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's squeaking, it's most likely the center ball of the cv joint. Ussually when a u-joint starts to go out it starts ticking and if not taken care of quickly is followed by a KAPOW!

Last edited by mkjeep; 09-09-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
Personal recommendation? This is on the wishlist but have no experiance with aftermarket drive shafts.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
If it's squeaking, it's most likely the center ball of the cv joint. Ussually when a u-joint starts to go out it starts ticking and if not taken care of quickly is followed by a KAPOW!
X2. Its the ball of the Cv joint. You will need to drop the shaft to grease it. Also now that it has gotten to the squeaking stage it is probally only a matter of time before it is finished. I would call tom woods and try to get them to fix it. If they will?
Old 09-10-2011, 03:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Yep, concur on the CV joint. I ignored a squeaking tailshaft CV on a vehicle a while back and one day when I floored it from standstill it just went BANG & I was up for a new shaft.

Quick Reply: squeaky driveshaft question