Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Squeak noise on my 2012, Help!

Old 09-06-2012, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak noise on my 2012, Help!

Hello gang,

I have a 2012 Rubicon Unlimited with auto transmission. I have about 9,500 miles. I have the TeraFlex leveling kit (springs) with stock Rubi shocks. I have SmittyBuilt front and rear bumpers along with a winch. I have stock drive shafts also. The following squeak noise occurs every time I am going over a bumpy part of a street. It is strongly present specially when going at lower speeds. I have crawled under my JK and inspected all items that could cause this squeak and I have come out empty handed. I have rocked the JK side to side in efforts to generate the squeak and NOTHING! I have jumped on the front and rear bumpers in order to generate the squeak and NOTHING! I have read about bad u joints causing squeaks as well as sway bar bushings causing squeaks. I have sprayed all that with WD 40 and NOTHING. The squeak comes from the driver side and the passenger side as well which leads me to believe it has to be coming from a part which is present on both sides of the JK like a way bar or the springs.

I am wondering if it this noise is perhaps being created by the springs and they travel up and down when going over bumps? I don't know anymore and your thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Here is the video of the said squeak. It starts at 00:18

SQUEAK NOISE.mp4 - YouTube

Last edited by LMT Rubi; 09-06-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2012 with a Teraflex lift with over 13,000 miles on it. I just developed the same squeak my best guess is that its the rear springs. I hear mine at low speed while driving over cobblestone roads. Wish I had a better answer but I've done the samething as you with the same results.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

^^^ Thank you for the input. However my squeak comes from the FRONT (under side) of my JK. I was afraid it was a bad wheel bearing but I jacked up my JK and spun the wheels around and didn't find anything strange and there was no play whatsoever. I am frustrated now
Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

I have a stock 2011 4dr auto transmission and I had a bad squeak/chirp coming from the front at speeds of 5-45 mph. First I thought it was the springs or shocks, then the tranny, belts, etc. I took it into the dealership and they took it for a ride. Turns out it was wiring that was pushed up against the firewall causing it to rub. They pulled it back and it's been quiet ever since.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

^^^ Thank you! I am going to check that out!!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine squeaks as well, but i am pretty sure its the front seat.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your brake pads.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you guys! Anyone else?

Quick Reply: Squeak noise on my 2012, Help!