Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

squeak

Old 01-23-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeak

i have a bad squeaking problem coming from the rear of my jeep... it only happens when i am on the gas. on brakes, none, coasting, none.. i cant tell what it is but its making me mad it is so annoying.. any ideas??? thanks
Old 01-23-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

earplugs or turn up the radio???? maybe brakes?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

it couldnt be brakes if it dont do it when im on the brakes.. right?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could be something stuck in there. If you have a few miles on them, it could be the brake pad warning pin that makes the noise. Try jacking up that side and rotating the tire by hand and see if you hear the noise. Could be a bearing or sensor hitting.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by greenmonster516
i have a bad squeaking problem coming from the rear of my jeep... it only happens when i am on the gas. on brakes, none, coasting, none.. i cant tell what it is but its making me mad it is so annoying.. any ideas??? thanks
Check again when you are coasting. If you have a bent rear axle it will squeak when ever you are not on the brakes every time the wheel rotates. I just bent my 5th one and will be upgrading to full float 60s soon.

The easiest way to check it is to jack up the rear of the jeep with it in neutral, then spin each of your rear wheels. You may be able to see it wobble but you will defiantly be able to feel the brake grab in the same area each time around.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

well lets hope it is just a minor fix.. i dont have an axle fund. oops..... better start, right?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CrazyCasey
Check again when you are coasting. If you have a bent rear axle it will squeak when ever you are not on the brakes every time the wheel rotates. I just bent my 5th one and will be upgrading to full float 60s soon.

The easiest way to check it is to jack up the rear of the jeep with it in neutral, then spin each of your rear wheels. You may be able to see it wobble but you will defiantly be able to feel the brake grab in the same area each time around.
yeah uhhhh its doing the brake grabbing thing...... is that defiantly it, or could it still be something else?? please say its not my axle...
Old 01-24-2012, 02:21 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

looking at your profile, is it safe to assume you are still running a stock drive shaft? running factory gears too?

if it only happens when you accelerate, try putting your rear axle on jack stands so that your tires are off the ground. make sure you're clear up front and have someone give your jeep some gas. being careful not to put yourself in danger, try to listen for and locate where the squeak is coming from. try listening around the wheels as well as around the drive shaft and differential. if it's not the brakes, could be a bearing going out in the cv joint or even in the diff.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
looking at your profile, is it safe to assume you are still running a stock drive shaft? running factory gears too?

if it only happens when you accelerate, try putting your rear axle on jack stands so that your tires are off the ground. make sure you're clear up front and have someone give your jeep some gas. being careful not to put yourself in danger, try to listen for and locate where the squeak is coming from. try listening around the wheels as well as around the drive shaft and differential. if it's not the brakes, could be a bearing going out in the cv joint or even in the diff.
i see what your saying and i will try but like the other guy said, my break is grabbing in the same spot each time around, like i can hear it too.... and no i have new drive shafts and new gears.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Super Freak

yeah uhhhh its doing the brake grabbing thing...... is that defiantly it, or could it still be something else?? please say its not my axle...
Every time I hear that squeak I cringe. Maybe way of life is right and it's a bearing or a break or something. At least do what he suggested to check, but it sure sounds like a bent axle flange to me especially since I see in your profile that you enjoy using your jeep. Good luck and keep us posted

Quick Reply: squeak