Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sqaure Tube Connectors - Drawer System

Old 09-16-2014, 09:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sqaure Tube Connectors - Drawer System

With the crazy price of ready made drawer systems... 600, 1000,2000, etc... I'm looking at making my own but preferably not out of wood. Metal will last longer and be more durable and aluminum would save a ton of weight.

For starters, I can't weld so its either quick connects, pay someone, or bolt the whole thing.

I found these things Connectors Square Tubing - Corners L T 90 degree, 3 way, 4 way | EZ Tube - International Designs - Not the snap lock ones, but the pressure fit ones. Anyone have experience making something out of this for the cargo area?
Old 09-16-2014, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vladimer
With the crazy price of ready made drawer systems... 600, 1000,2000, etc... I'm looking at making my own
I would keep your eye out for a used system.. I bought my tuffy security deck used for 300 3 years ago. With the removable plate for back seat- which follows the curve of the seat, and ability to remove the top so easy, let along lining up the end so closing it is flawless.. I think it would be more work than you think.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to play the devil's advocate and say despite it probably being more work and even if you work for minimum wage it would be cheaper to buy an already made drawer system it would be so cool to make your own! When it is super awesome and all your friends want one (or at least say it to your face while the opposite behind your back) you will dream of patenting your design and making your first million just making it for family and friends. Did I mention it would make you pretty cool...but at the end of the day you may feel differently about your decision.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to your local metal supply store to get some ideas on materials. I'd make a bolt together angle iron frame, you can cut the angle iron with a grinder. You could use aluminum sheet for the drawers, sides and top to save weight. You can use a cheap jigsaw with a metal cutting blade to cut out all your aluminum. I'd rivet the aluminum to the frame and add ball bearing drawer slides. For a little more security you could make the top of the box from stainless or cold rolled steel (then paint it). If you do that, have the metal supply cut your piece to spec. Sounds like a fun project.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ski-YA-later
I would keep your eye out for a used system.. I bought my tuffy security deck used for 300 3 years ago. With the removable plate for back seat- which follows the curve of the seat, and ability to remove the top so easy, let along lining up the end so closing it is flawless.. I think it would be more work than you think.
Yeah I've been looking around for awhile but no one seems to be selling anything even close to a drawer system or anything of the sorts up here used.

Originally Posted by CombatDiver
I have to play the devil's advocate and say despite it probably being more work and even if you work for minimum wage it would be cheaper to buy an already made drawer system it would be so cool to make your own! When it is super awesome and all your friends want one (or at least say it to your face while the opposite behind your back) you will dream of patenting your design and making your first million just making it for family and friends. Did I mention it would make you pretty cool...but at the end of the day you may feel differently about your decision.
I don't think it would be more then a ready made system. To do the full back end is a few grand in cost. I am not counting my time into it as for small things, yes I couldn't be bothered as my time is worth a value as well. But for something that is 2-3 grand, if I can due it myself for 500-700 bucks and not have it look like something off a red neck farm then I am all ears!

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
Go to your local metal supply store to get some ideas on materials. I'd make a bolt together angle iron frame, you can cut the angle iron with a grinder. You could use aluminum sheet for the drawers, sides and top to save weight. You can use a cheap jigsaw with a metal cutting blade to cut out all your aluminum. I'd rivet the aluminum to the frame and add ball bearing drawer slides. For a little more security you could make the top of the box from stainless or cold rolled steel (then paint it). If you do that, have the metal supply cut your piece to spec. Sounds like a fun project.
Thanks Ajkaz! Those are some good suggestions.

I've found an example of someone using the stuff in the first link (or similar product from the UK?) on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaYrMPE9Td0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt7kqgRhgks Looks like it came out pretty well for him actually
Old 09-20-2014, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Interior-Par...t_pn=S%2fB2763

I was considering building something myself.

Quick Reply: Sqaure Tube Connectors - Drawer System