Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

spyder or smittybuilt rocker body cladding protection

Old 09-03-2014, 08:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That rock rails do you have?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepjkgrrl
What about Or-Fab's ? They even go further, extend under the fenders, where spyders doesnt
The fit is good, but they are a pain to install, you have to unbolt the front fender and pull it away from the body to drill some of the nutserts.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JE8154
Get aluminum, not steel and paint it, not plasti dip. Paint all the holes you drill. Skip the rubber padding, you're about to drill 30 holes in the body of your jeep do you really care if you scratch underneath? Silicone along the top seam.
I was under the impression that the rubber padding they sell would end up being a tight enough fit once you tighten down the bolts that it would keep dirt or water from getting in between the body and the armor? If you've already got rock rails then definitely go with the aluminum. According to PS, they're 27 lbs. lighter than the steel.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Grant09
I was under the impression that the rubber padding they sell would end up being a tight enough fit once you tighten down the bolts that it would keep dirt or water from getting in between the body and the armor? If you've already got rock rails then definitely go with the aluminum. According to PS, they're 27 lbs. lighter than the steel.
For $5 in silicone you get the same effect. Aluminum, because salt.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JE8154
That rock rails do you have?
I got Paramount restyling, just like the smittybilt rock sliders with the steps. Mounts to the body mounts, better then using the pinch seam holes.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to spray with plastic dip then put the rubber padding, its all about it not getting a scratch from dirt and stuff and then rusting.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeepjkgrrl
I'm going to spray with plastic dip then put the rubber padding, its all about it not getting a scratch from dirt and stuff and then rusting.
if you're worried about rust you should get it professionally primed and painted. Do you really think something that you can peel off by hand is going to stand up to getting stuff thrown off the tires onto it?
Old 09-08-2014, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

There is no comparison in quality or look when discussing poison spyder vs smittybilt.

Go with PSC.

Quick Reply: spyder or smittybuilt rocker body cladding protection