Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Springs vs. Spacers

Old 04-14-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs vs. Spacers

First Post so here it goes. I am wanting to gain 1 inch in lift height. I currently have a 3 in black diamond and I want just a little more. For cost reasons I like the spacer idea but if springs are a much better way to go I will go that way. I already have adjustable control arms top and bottom so I am not worried too much about that. Any suggestions would be helpful
Old 04-14-2010, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brandonglltt
First Post so here it goes. I am wanting to gain 1 inch in lift height. I currently have a 3 in black diamond and I want just a little more. For cost reasons I like the spacer idea but if springs are a much better way to go I will go that way. I already have adjustable control arms top and bottom so I am not worried too much about that. Any suggestions would be helpful
I recommend trying the Daystar 3/4" spacers, they'll probably give you the extra lift you’re looking for.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Welcome to the forum..
I would go with a 1" body lift. It would save a lot of time. And you would not have to re- adjust your chamber. And you will get a true 1' of lift. But that's just me. I even plan on ditching my whole kit this fall for a TF 4" lift.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Will those 3/4" Daystar spacers be ok with stock Rubicon shocks? Or will that extra 3/4" require a longer shock?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
i'd also consider a body lift... but there's no reason you can't go spacers over your springs. only thing i'd worry about is that's approaching the heigh where some people have driveshaft problems.
I need a front drive shaft right now. Last trip out tore the boot totally off. Going to call david in a few weks to order one.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL

The Ruby shocks can't run about 3/4" more extended?

I bet they could.

I also think he could IMPROVE his articulation with longer shocks, but I ALSO think he COULD use the shocks he has with a 3/4" spacer (It sounds like he's otherwise stock...so if this is added to another lift, sure, all bets are off)

All the spacer will do is raise the ride height...his total up/down wheel travel will not change as far as the shocks go, all he'd be doing is changing the ride height length the shock was at.

IE: he doesn't NEED longer shocks because he added a 3/4" spacer to a stock Ruby, but he might WANT them.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:44 PM
JK Freak

Body lift would be be my choice also.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got a 1.75 pro comp spacer and you will not need to change anything shock wise. In the future, I will go with 34" tires (I have a bum left leg) with wheel spaces. I am new to this as well, but it seems (from all I have read here) that I will be able to do this, also without changing things, well except re-gering.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the help, I will look into a body lift in greater detail. I have already trashed the front driveshaft and I need a good excuse to replace the rear thanks again

Quick Reply: Springs vs. Spacers