Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Springs and shock problems

Old 02-19-2014, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs and shock problems

Ok I have a 08 jku. When I bought it it had a 2 inch lift spring spacers on it. No big deal right. Well I add a 9k warn Tabor winch to the front factory bumper and I had to add 1 more 2 inch spacers to the front to level it out. Is this right? I need new shocks and this what started me thinking about all this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2014, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

So you have two 2" spacers stacked up front? Not the best way to go about that. you might want to start looking into some new coils.
Do you have any spacers in the rear?
Old 02-19-2014, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Namtaru
So you have two 2" spacers stacked up front? Not the best way to go about that. you might want to start looking into some new coils.
Do you have any spacers in the rear?
Yes I have 2" in the rear too. That's what I was afraid of. So my question is if put 2.5" coil lift on will I lose the height that I already have?

Old 02-19-2014, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rbzak
Yes I have 2" in the rear too. That's what I was afraid of. So my question is if put 2.5" coil lift on will I lose the height that I already have?

Spacer lifts don't typically equate to the same numbers when moving to coils.
That is to say, if you have 4" of spacer up front, you don't need a 4" coil since coils are usually "measured" with already having heavier bumpers on.

Which specific size coils you are going to need I can't necessarily say, but I will say that the synergy coils are top notch.
POLY PERFORMANCE OFF-ROAD PARTS*::*Suspension*::*Suspension & Lift Kits*::*Jeep Suspension Systems*::*2007-Current Jeep JK Wrangler Suspension Systems*::*Synergy Manufacturing*::*Synergy Jeep JK, TJ/LJ Front Lift Coil Springs

With the 1" coil you are looking at around 1.5" of lift with no bumpers on the JKU, so i would guess putting a 1" in the rear will have it sit a tad lower then it is now, and a 2" will be sitting higher.
For the front the same would likely apply, a 2" might not be where its at now, and a 3" will likely be a bit taller.

Just keep in mind that at some point (height wise), you need to start looking at other things such as new links, brake line relocation, etc, etc.

Last edited by Namtaru; 02-19-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

So if you added spacers to remove the sag then you have just compressed your springs and eliminated the sag with a spacer. Time to get new springs that are rated a bit higher than the ones you have.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 08 and my springs have run there course. You might think about replacing them with oem springs and keeping the 2" spacers. I'm thinking about doing that just to keep the factory ride. My wife hates the ride of these 2" JKS's
Old 02-19-2014, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK08MCS
I have an 08 and my springs have run there course. You might think about replacing them with oem springs and keeping the 2" spacers. I'm thinking about doing that just to keep the factory ride. My wife hates the ride of these 2" JKS's
Thats actually a good point, a new set of Synergy springs, 2" front and 1" rear, may just get you back to where you are now, without the use of any spacers.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I need new shocks too. I was looking at this Rough Country 3.75 in. Auto Trans (07-14 Wrangler JK 4 Door). It has 2.5 coils with 1.25 body lift and shock. May not use the body lift but the price is right. So if I get this how much will I have to add to my bump stops?

Old 02-20-2014, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Namtaru
Spacer lifts don't typically equate to the same numbers when moving to coils.
That is to say, if you have 4" of spacer up front, you don't need a 4" coil since coils are usually "measured" with already having heavier bumpers on.

Which specific size coils you are going to need I can't necessarily say, but I will say that the synergy coils are top notch.
POLY PERFORMANCE OFF-ROAD PARTS*::*Suspension*::*Suspension & Lift Kits*::*Jeep Suspension Systems*::*2007-Current Jeep JK Wrangler Suspension Systems*::*Synergy Manufacturing*::*Synergy Jeep JK, TJ/LJ Front Lift Coil Springs

With the 1" coil you are looking at around 1.5" of lift with no bumpers on the JKU, so i would guess putting a 1" in the rear will have it sit a tad lower then it is now, and a 2" will be sitting higher.
For the front the same would likely apply, a 2" might not be where its at now, and a 3" will likely be a bit taller.

Just keep in mind that at some point (height wise), you need to start looking at other things such as new links, brake line relocation, etc, etc.
So if I get a 2.5" coil lift kit that may but about where I am know. And still level front and rear?

Quick Reply: Springs and shock problems