Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Springs off-set after lift..LCAs didnt fix....?

Old 10-26-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs off-set after lift..LCAs didnt fix....?

Dont normally post up Help questions as most have been picked over and can be found with a few searches..but must be using the wrong terms for searching....so let me know what you know....

Jeep background; Installed a TF 3" Lift with TF Monster adj TB up front and TF Shocks.

Measured Axles made adjustments to center front. Centered Steering wheel, and got toe locked in, thanks WOL for the write ups.

After install jeep didn't have any wobble issues so felt i locked down the lift first time. Did feel a bit flighty (normal i know) and the front springs were a bit off center...as in closer to the bump stop up front and not centered on the axle and i know with stock arms it will pull the axle back towards the rear of the jeep(right?!)...so figured maybe i could kill two birds with one stone and put on TF LCA's ...got them installed and locked down....Drives like a dream...stock if not better now for handling, so did something right on that part...but did not fix the spring issue.

Looking at it, i know the axle is pushed to far back, thought the adj LCAs would fix that..but do i need the uppers to push it back to stock position? If so can i keep the LCA as they are or will they have to be adjusted to as the axle will push out? (that sounds like the most logical result)

Or am i way off in my thinking...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-18_16-40-09_754.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	228859Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-18_16-53-48_717.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	228860Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-18_16-54-00_546.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	228861
Old 10-26-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

The pics dont have the Adj LCAs in them, but there was not much change to them...
Old 10-26-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Junkie

Looks like you are off what are the measurements that you set them at because they look pushed WAY too far forward. Should be around 23" or 23 1/8th. That's what mine are set at for the 4" lift and it drives really well. Do you have front uppers as well or just the lowers?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know you cant tell in the pics but the bump stop is touching the front of the spring towards the front of the jeep, as in the Axle is to far back in relation to the frame of the jeep, not the other way around. I know i suck at pictures and i am sure i failed to make that point clear about what part of the spring is pushed back..

LCAs are around 23 and some change added to passenger side, no issues there...I do not have Uppers...will they push the axle back out is what i want to know, or do i have a bigger issue here

Last edited by Bnizzle; 10-26-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Junkie

So it's actually pulled back like that? if the LCA's are set at 23 and it's till pushing forward like that have you checked that the springs are seated correctly in their perches? Something isn't adding up there Were those pics taken with the jeep on the ground and the axle shifted over with the trackbar adjusted?
Old 10-26-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Look at the sway bar links. It looks like your track bar is way to far out.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Looks like the track bar needs adjusting, looks like the axle is not centered
Old 10-26-2011, 07:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Looking at it, i know the axle is pushed to far back, thought the adj LCAs would fix that..but do i need the uppers to push it back to stock position? If so can i keep the LCA as they are or will they have to be adjusted to as the axle will push out? (that sounds like the most logical result)
One set of arms 'tilts' the axle - for adjusting caster/pinion angles.
Two sets of arms lets you move the entire axle forward/backward in the wheel well.

If you keep the lca's where they are now, and make the uca's longer than stock to move the axle forward, you just changed you caster/pinion. You will want to extend both uppers and lowers to move it forward while keeping your chosen caster/pinion angles where they are now.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

@fadeout
Yes on level ground and from my measurements the axle is centered by less then 1/8" off and i caulk that up to crappy measuring.

@Schwheelz
That is one of my issues, that one looks like its binding a bit, but the other side is perfect....

@nthinuf
I was hoping there was a cheeper fix then getting new UCA but it is what it is...

Unelss anyone else knows of anything else i am going to recheck my centering of the axle, and pick up some UCAs for the front...

was hoping it was something i could fix due to install with out buying something new..

so will go down like this ...wife pissed...me happy...and David from Northridge on the phone( will be the order of events)
Old 10-27-2011, 03:06 AM
JK Freak

Do you still have the jeep jacked up in the pics. The springs look extended. Put the tires on and lower the jeep. The bump stop should be closer to center. When the jeep is jacked up the axel shifts back and to the side due to the control arms and track bar.

Last edited by HornetJK; 10-27-2011 at 03:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Springs off-set after lift..LCAs didnt fix....?