Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spring Upgrade?

Old 08-03-2016, 04:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spring Upgrade?

I'm running a 2.5" TeraFlex coil lift with Speed Bumps and Fox reservoir shocks. In the front I am running RK adjustable lower control arms and track bar. In the back I have a TF track bar relocation bracket and factory track bar. I'm on 37" Toyo Open Country RTs for the moment but will be installing Nitto Ridge Grapplers in the next few weeks.

I was provided Rancho's new 8 arm kit to test out and provide feedback (that'll be another thread). http://www.gorancho.com/products/acc...-rs66159b.html

I like the LCG concept and really am not interested in going above 3" lift and was thinking now may be a good time to swap out my almost 5 year old springs with some EVO 3" Plush coils or equivalent. I may also add a new drag link, tie rod and rear adjustable track bar, but that may be later in the year. For now my decision point is new springs or keep what I have.

I wheel at Uwharrie, it's mild for the most part with a few difficult trails with rocks. I try to run the more difficult trails for the most part.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-03-2016, 08:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Im in the same boat as you pretty much. Still running 2.5 TF coils from 6 years ago . They have been on two different jeeps and are pretty beat up. I want to replace them with coils that have a longer free length as im running pretty long travel shocks with lower spring retainers bolted to the coil perches to keep the TF coils from falling out. Ive been researching new coils for quite a while and like you also want to keep a lcog. The TF coils with 1/2" spacers netted me 3.5" up front and 2.5" in the rear while running 2" bumps all around on 37s. Downtravel to me is more important than uptravel for most of my wheeling is slow speed crawling. Ive been looking into 2.5" MC coils for their long free length . Also considering 3" synergy springs or the new 2.5" JKS springs which I hear is getting some attention. Every JKS product on my jeep now is nothing short of top quality. RK is not an option simply from hearing horror storys about guys going out wheeling for the day only to notice their coils have broken down and sagged noticeably afterwards. Im not talking about sagging from adding addtional weight to the rig but sagging after hard use on the trail. That tells me something is wrong with their manufacturing process. Not hating on RK just not worth taking the chance whiel there are so many other quality manufacturers out there. Evo springs I have also looked into but drove some guys jeep that had the 3" coils on his 2 dr and felt they were a bit stiff
Old 08-03-2016, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been happy with my metalcloak coils. Currently running the 2.5" 2door coils on a light 4dr build (hardtop, rubi rails, stock bumpers and skids) and they have netted me 2.25 over stock. The ride quality is much much better and with the dual rate you shouldn't have to worry about them falling out
Old 08-03-2016, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

No complaints with my RK triple rates. They have a really long free length, and with my Rancho 9000's they ride better than my moms Volvo. Super plush, but still nice and planted. My girlfriend even complimented the ride quality...that's when you know

Also like the fact that the rear coils keep the factory rake. Allows me to load all my tools and recovery gear in the trunk, and actually sit level.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

I second the Rock Krawler triple rates. my 2.5" springs netted almost 3 inches.

They were my 3 set of springs in 4 years and I wish I had them from the start.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I really do wonder about rk quality control. My buddy and I essentially have identical 4 doors both 14's both have same equipment for the most part same rear bumpers both Toyo 35's on similar weight rims similar armour si our jeeps weigh within 100 lbs of each other Both run 3.5" triple rates in the rear and 2.5" up front our fronts are lifted exactly the same his back is 1.5" taller. We both are using the rk coil wedges. Mine have been on 8 months longer.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:53 AM
JK Super Freak

How long have you guys had your rk springs and what type of wheeling do you do? How often are you offroad? I'm sure they ride great on the road but that's not what I was expressing concern about towards the op. My concern is there durability after being put through some abuse.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
How long have you guys had your rk springs and what type of wheeling do you do? How often are you offroad? I'm sure they ride great on the road but that's not what I was expressing concern about towards the op. My concern is there durability after being put through some abuse.
I wheel often and fairly hard not Koh hard but Rubicon trail and harder trails in moab. I sagged bad after doing Rubicon fully loaded on my 2.5" coils that's why I went with 3.5" in back when rk replaced them.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jadmt
I wheel often and fairly hard not Koh hard but Rubicon trail and harder trails in moab. I sagged bad after doing Rubicon fully loaded on my 2.5" coils that's why I went with 3.5" in back when rk replaced them.
Yeah unfortunately this is what I was referring to. Theres a guy on here chuck the ripper I think it was who had this same issue. He posted a pic of the stance of his jeep and the problem was pretty visible. From what he describes he wheels his shit pretty regularly. A guy that was in my group last year also had this issue with his rk springs. For the guys that dont leave the pavement im sure these springs meet their needs just fine and dont have these issues. RK is a great company and their springs clearly have great road manners. They also advertise these springs as racing springs but clearly something is missing for these springs to just break down and sag. I hope they get the issue resolved. In the meantime to stay on topic of this thread I would explore other manufacturers for springs but thats just me. Good luck to the op and let us know what you go with these choices are always a PIA with so many quality manufacturers out there now
Old 08-03-2016, 05:35 PM
JK Jedi

Thanks guys... any real world experience with EVO springs?

Quick Reply: Spring Upgrade?