Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spring Swap Help

Old 02-09-2014, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completed the swap to stiffer spring this weekend and while swapping springs I added the 1.75 rock krawler spacers. Between the two, I ended up getting 3" of lift in front and 2.5" in the back(eliminating any rake). My original expectation were for 2.5" in the front.

I am now concerned with the 3" lift up front and what problems I may have to deal with. Does anyone have any advice on what additional changes I should look into to eliminate any problems in the future.
Adjustable track bar?
Adjustable lower or upper control arms?
AEV JK Geometry Correction Front Control Arm Drop Brackets?

I am just a bit lost as I was not expecting to gain this much lift and was trying to stay at 2.5" lift to avoid these problems. My intended use is for light to moderate trails, no rock crawling.

Thank you very much for any input and sorry for the long post. This is my first jeep and first time working on any vehicle.

Last edited by flyerfan033; 02-09-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rancho lca drop brackets will stop the flighty steering wheel, nedd longer shocks or extensions, brake line relocation brackets.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep x2 on the correction bracket they work great I have a 3 inch lift with the brackets works great.I have the aev brackets.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:15 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. I'm looking to address these issues for sure
Old 02-10-2014, 04:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Stand on your front bumper and measure the height. Did you lose that half inch? Now, are you planning on a winch and bumper? Well, if you're a typical guy, you just got a good approximation of what will happen when you install it.

The geometry correction brackets will work for the flighty steering. I prefer the adjustable front LCAs, but other than a point lower down subject to getting bashed on rocks (yes, there are rocks on even those forest service and country roads that you sometimes must cross), and a slight bit more articulation, the geometry correction brackets do the job.

County Road 975 in Colorado--AKA Blanca Peak Trail. This vehicle has the AEV correction brackets ...

As for the adjustable trackbar, look at the centering of your axles from the front (or rear) of the Jeep by comparing the outer edge of each tire versus the outer edge of your fenders. Is one tire on one axle sticking out too far, while the opposite tire on the opposite axle sticks out too far the other direction? That's what adjustable trackbars can fix. If the Jeep was a high performance sports car, it would cause the steering to be really squirelly at high speeds--left and right turns would have an entirely different feel. Not much of a problem in a Jeep. Someone driving behind you will describe your vehicle as "crabbing" down the highway. At 2.5" of lift, it's up to you whether you want to fix it.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Stand on your front bumper and measure the height. Did you lose that half inch? Now, are you planning on a winch and bumper? Well, if you're a typical guy, you just got a good approximation of what will happen when you install it.

The geometry correction brackets will work for the flighty steering. I prefer the adjustable front LCAs, but other than a point lower down subject to getting bashed on rocks (yes, there are rocks on even those forest service and country roads that you sometimes must cross), and a slight bit more articulation, the geometry correction brackets do the job.

County Road 975 in Colorado--AKA Blanca Peak Trail. This vehicle has the AEV correction brackets ...

As for the adjustable trackbar, look at the centering of your axles from the front (or rear) of the Jeep by comparing the outer edge of each tire versus the outer edge of your fenders. Is one tire on one axle sticking out too far, while the opposite tire on the opposite axle sticks out too far the other direction? That's what adjustable trackbars can fix. If the Jeep was a high performance sports car, it would cause the steering to be really squirelly at high speeds--left and right turns would have an entirely different feel. Not much of a problem in a Jeep. Someone driving behind you will describe your vehicle as "crabbing" down the highway. At 2.5" of lift, it's up to you whether you want to fix it.
This is some great information. I appreciate the descriptions that was easy for a newb like me to understand.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:33 PM
JK Newbie

Nice ride,would you keep me updated on your build. The only difference in mine is its auto so let me know how everything works out. I have a 2.5" puck lift i hope to install this month along with wheels and tires.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:43 PM
JK Newbie

I ended up adding the AEV geometry brackets. They seemed to help. I also added the front shock extension which is just what I needed. It rides pretty good, a little rough but I would just associate that with the stiffer springs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4241450454.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	536953

Quick Reply: Spring Swap Help