Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spring suspension questions.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EzK
Very misleading nutshell.
what would be a better "nutshell" description? of the shock and spring relationship to overall ride? I'm guessing there isn't really a one size fits all description as i'm sure some combinations of spring sets and shocks that have widely varying characteristics...

Originally Posted by Atch
Everyone that I know have complained about how rough the rough country lifts are and removed them. However, I've seen people on here that love it. My recommendation would be to find someone in your area to ride along with to see how their lift rides.
I've noticed some of those trends reading around the different threads on this topic. the only problem with your recommendation is that I only know 1 guy that has a jeep and he's only running a budget boost on a 4 door. So unless there is some one here near me that would like to offer up a ride along in their jeep to show me there setup i'm going to be going purely off of what research i've done on the internet to make my decision.

The only plus side to making my decision is I don't have a daily commute so the on street performance is not as big of a deal to me.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hello, I went round and round with choices last year too..

Started with an AEV 2" leveling kit ( used factory shocks )
After I put on the nicer wheels/tires 33's . still kept factory ride.
The Factory Sport shocks are crap.

I just replaced the leveling kit with Synergy Suspensions ( progressive coils )
and Bilstein 5100's Shocks.

Big improvement ! do your research, I probably should have just went with the lift first, but the leveling kit was very inexpensive.

good luck !
Old 05-03-2013, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hello, I went round and round with choices last year too..

Started with an AEV 2" leveling kit ( used factory shocks )
After I put on the nicer wheels/tires 33's . still kept factory ride.
The Factory Sport shocks are crap.

I just replaced the leveling kit with Synergy Suspensions ( progressive coils )
and Bilstein 5100's Shocks.

Big improvement ! do your research, I probably should have just went with the lift first, but the leveling kit was very inexpensive.

good luck !, based on what you are looking at. besides Synergy I would go with AEV parts and for shocks ( bilstein,Fox or Rancho9000)
Old 05-03-2013, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by EzK

Very misleading nutshell.
Alrighty then, miss know it all. Buy the OP some 170-200 lb ft/inch coils and some mono tube shocks for his STOCK bumpers, and tell me what he thinks of the ride in a couple of months. 140-160 lb/ft and a twin tube will do just fine for about 90% of all JKers.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK Inspired
Alrighty then, miss know it all. Buy the OP some 170-200 lb ft/inch coils and some mono tube shocks for his STOCK bumpers, and tell me what he thinks of the ride in a couple of months. 140-160 lb/ft and a twin tube will do just fine for about 90% of all JKers.
Yes, you should definitely do that, buy me some gear and i'll happily give a solid review of the performance.

Does anyone know the lb ft/inch specs on the coils that RK sells in their stock mod or the 2.5 flex system? I'm guessing its the same coils in either package but I can't find any specs on the coils.

I do plan on swapping out bumpers, just not in the next couple months... My plan is something along the lines of lift it, tire / wheel it with 35's, bumper it, regear it, front D44 it, and new driveshaft.

Thanks if anyone can answer the spec question on the RK coils...

Dan
Old 05-04-2013, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks for everyone's input and all the PM's I got on this topic guys!

after all my research I'm going with the RK 2.5 flex system, though I think several of the other products look awesome as well. Mostly it looks like comparing Nike to Adidas when it comes to most lift kits and I'm sure I'll be happy with my purchase just like most people seem to be pleased with their own.

Thanks again everyone for your input and PM's

Dan

Quick Reply: Spring suspension questions.