Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spring suspension questions.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring suspension questions.

So i'm looking into my first lift kit, and have a couple questions about springs and such.

I noticed while looking into some of the basic kits out there there are several different types of springs with varying kits.

AEV 2.5" kit seems to have dual rate front and rear springs
Rock Krawler 2.5" kit looks like it comes with progressive fronts, and
Rubicon Express 3.5" kit appears to have linear fronts and rear srpings.
Teraflex 3" appears to have linear fronts and rears as well, but the rear springs look wider, which im not sure why or what benefit / drawback that may have.

what are the advantages the different coil types? The only thing i've found is that progressive and dual rate springs have better on road manners than linear rate coils.

Also, what's the deal with the Teraflex rear springs? I can't seem to ever find any compression rate numbers or specs on the coils to try and compare them to other linear rate springs like the Rubicon Express ones, which makes it difficult to know exactly what the difference in the coils may be.

thanks
Dan
Old 05-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

200 lbs rears 170 lbs fronts
Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
200 lbs rears 170 lbs fronts
This may be a stupid question, but i'm guessing the higher the poundage the stiffer the ride? is that correct?

Thanks for responding!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djbiv
This may be a stupid question, but i'm guessing the higher the poundage the stiffer the ride? is that correct?

Thanks for responding!
Correct to a certain point. Shocks really can make/break your ride quality too.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Correct to a certain point. Shocks really can make/break your ride quality too.
That's what I figured, I guess I'll need to continue my research into the types of shocks I want, and what is included in the different packages. I think i'm over analyzing this purchase a bit, but that's just my nature.

thanks again!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Former Vendor

That's what I figured, I guess I'll need to continue my research into the types of shocks I want, and what is included in the different packages. I think i'm over analyzing this purchase a bit, but that's just my nature.

thanks again!
Djbiv,

There's nothing wrong with over analyzing when it comes to suspension parts. It's one of the most important purchases you'll make for your Jeep. when you think about suspensions, the springs are more of the muscle and the shocks are the brains. I have seen some lower quality coils paired with high quality shocks and they ride better than high quality coils with lower quality shocks.

A good shock to look into is the Rancho RS 9000. It features 9 way adjustable valving to dial your rig in just the way you want it. You can set it to have a better ride on the road, then when you get in the dirt, tailor it for better performance off road.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have. I'll be more than happy to help.

-Zach
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ExtremeTerrain
Djbiv,

A good shock to look into is the Rancho RS 9000. It features 9 way adjustable valving to dial your rig in just the way you want it. You can set it to have a better ride on the road, then when you get in the dirt, tailor it for better performance off road.
-Zach
Thanks for the information!

and Now I think i've added another kit to my consideration, the rough country 3.25 kit seems like a really good deal!

I feel like a women shopping for bra's or something... there are SOOO many options!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:16 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the information!

and Now I think i've added another kit to my consideration, the rough country 3.25 kit seems like a really good deal!

I feel like a women shopping for bra's or something... there are SOOO many options!
Everyone that I know have complained about how rough the rough country lifts are and removed them. However, I've seen people on here that love it. My recommendation would be to find someone in your area to ride along with to see how their lift rides.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:14 AM
JK Freak

Coils-weight bearing, shocks-ride quality (in a nut shell).
Old 05-03-2013, 01:42 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Inspired
Coils-weight bearing, shocks-ride quality (in a nut shell).
Very misleading nutshell.

Quick Reply: Spring suspension questions.