Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spring sag lift upgrade questions (please)

Old 12-31-2013, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring sag lift upgrade questions (please)

Ok I currently have a TF 2.5" coil lift with 3/4" spacers on top of that. Other than the rear track bar bracket all other components are factory. I have a bumper and winch combo that is squatting the front quite a bit. I plan on doing one of 2 things.
1. Replace all springs with a better spring (3"-3.5") and leave out spacers. Add control arm brackets and rear coil correction plates (was rec by friend by I know NOTHING about them). Will I still need a front adjustable track bar?
2. Scrap entire lift and replace with a 4" Rancho sport lift.

I do moderate trail riding which is mostly logging trails. Any bump in the road damn near flips the jeep now. Feels as though the bump is transferred straight thru the jeep rather than being absorbed. I would love to replace front springs, shocks, and ad the control arm brackets first as it will prob give me the quickest fix. Doesn't sound like its cutting corners yet cheaper than replacing all of the control arms. Does anyone have any advice for this situation? I would love to toss it all and drop $2500+ on a new better kit but I need to be realistic and stay safe.

Will control arm brackets help? Do I need ALL or are there only certain ones?
Will I still want/need an adjustable front track bar?
I plan on using the Rancho 9000 shocks also.
My rear coils have little sag or give. Should I replace all 4 coils or will just the fronts be ok? I would like 3"-3.5" of lift (including sag) in the front. My rear sits about 2" higher than front now.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size tires are you trying to run? Do you have stock fenders or flat?
Old 12-31-2013, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have 33's but going to put on 35's. Im more concerned with getting ride quality back as my jeep bounces off everything (I know its a jeep but highway bridge joices feel like there going to break the axle). I feel like new coils, new shocks, and control arm brackets will at least level off the front to rear and improve the handling. I just don't want to forget something and would like to make sure I understand the suspension before guessing on how to correct it.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

and stock flares. May go with flats at some point
Old 12-31-2013, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

If you had the money, I would look into doing a full kit. Either RK or MC with adjustable control arms (at least front lowers) adjustable trackbars and the shocks that came with the kit or recommended shocks for the kit. This would give you the best ride.

For a lift over 2.5" you should be looking into adding adjustable front lower control arms, front adjustable trackbar, rear adjustable trackbar or trackbar bracket.

For a lift over 3.5" you would need all of the above plus possibly doing a drag link flip, raised front trackbar bracket if you have bump steer.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by PUSHNF8
and stock flares. May go with flats at some point
The lift your running is perfectly fine. I'm running the same lift with a lot of weight for almost 3 years and have no complaints with ride quality. I added front lower arms and an adjustable front trackbar. If you have excess sag in the front add 1/2 to 1 inch spacers. I'm running the the teraflex shocks with the coils and they are holding up fine with no leaking what so ever unlike the rough country's I had before it. The problem with your ride quality might lie with your shocks assuming your not running the teraflex shocks and did extensions with your stock shocks.If your going to run 35s you may want to cut your fenders for more clearance
Old 12-31-2013, 05:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in your scenario id recommend new quality coils and no spacers. Keep the lift at your current height and add adjustable lower arms at a bare minimum. I dont think going to a 4" rc lift will make you much happier, but if you want to go for it. As questioned before what shocks do you run? Running a 4" lift correctly in my opinion will run you alot more than i think your expecting. I wouldnt keep the teraflex coils, hell you couldnt give me them to run on my jeep.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
in your scenario id recommend new quality coils and no spacers. Keep the lift at your current height and add adjustable lower arms at a bare minimum. I dont think going to a 4" rc lift will make you much happier, but if you want to go for it. As questioned before what shocks do you run? Running a 4" lift correctly in my opinion will run you alot more than i think your expecting. I wouldnt keep the teraflex coils, hell you couldnt give me them to run on my jeep.
You ever run their coils?
Old 12-31-2013, 05:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
You ever run their coils?
nope and never will. A couple guys in the local offroad club have and they sagged beyond belief ive seen it second hand and wont try them just to encounter the same issues possibly. Also there coils run to short for my application, if i were to run them id have to reatin top/bottom and the stretching and compressing would kill them extremely quick. Might not be that way for everyone, but as i said personally you couldnt give them to me. If you dont offroad much and have a light jeep they might hold up better. I see you run them, how about you just say you love them and havent had any issues?

Last edited by Maertz; 12-31-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

The teraflex coils seemed fine at first. They rode great with the factory front bumper. When I changed that and added a winch I noticed the right away. With the 3/4" spacers front and rear the jeep sat damn near perfectly level. Dropped very slightly after bumper and winch. A year later the front sits 2"+ lower than the rear. I am running RC shocks. I think they are horrible too but when I purchased the TF kit I ordered with the adapters. The shocks both snapped trying to remove (NE rust) so I was in a pinch. Local shop had these on hand so they went on. I have every intention of replacing them. I simply want to make sure if I add control arm drop brackets I should expect a difference also...In theory they should help. I also want to replace the coils as they clearly have sagged (fact not assumption). I don't know if the coils are contributing to the rough ride but the unlevelness (word?) drives me. I also have a 1.25" BL so 35's shouldn't be an issue. I will try to find a good progressive 3"-3.5" coil (SUGGESTIONS???), new 9000 shocks, Control arm drop brackets, and go from there. Are real coil correction plates going to help in any way? I can do all the work myself but everyone local pushes TF or RK coils. I prefer to avoid TF as Im not happy with the coils after 14 months (UNLESS they have new design with better progressive rates?)

Quick Reply: Spring sag lift upgrade questions (please)