Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spring rate and ride quality

Old 09-24-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring rate and ride quality

How much does spring rate affect the ride quality? My jeep rides real stiff and its not tire pressure i checked, i run skyjacker hydro shocks in the rear with superlift soft rides on the front, and from what ive read theyre supposed to be pretty soft. Anyone else with skyjacker 2.5" coils have a stiff ride as well? Would swappin different coils help? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless your suspension is binding, or the geometry is totally out of wack, which is unlikely with a 2.5" lift the combination of coils and shocks will have a large impact on the "ride quality".

I have no direct experience with the JK Skyjacker coils but I believe they are linear, but how harsh is the ride compared to the stock setup? Are you referring to the road or off-road ride? When you a hit a bump or even on a smooth surface? Has it been this way since you installed the lift or has it gotten progressively worse?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its just on road and somedays it rides ok and somedays not good at all, stock was a noticeably better ride it soaked up bumps pretty well, with the lift it rides super smooth if the road is smooth but if it gets the least bit rough it doesnt absorb hits like stock did, and i even had to switch from my SJ coils back to stock coils a while back while i waited for my trackbar and i kept my hydro shocks on and it rode really good, now im back with the SJ coils on and its nowhere near what it used to be, thats why i doubt my shocks are the culprit. I just swapped to superlift shocks in the front cause my SJ hydros were to short, and as i waited for UPS to arrive i already had the shocks off so i bounced the front up and down for fun and nothin seemed to be binding.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:34 AM
JK Junkie

I had the R.C. 4" lift 2.2 shock last year

The Jeep was stiff. But the problem with these shocks is winter. When it's very cold, the shocks are freezing (oil inside) and the Jeep becomes extremely stiff. It's like driving the old CJ's

Last edited by Yoda; 09-27-2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Theres no way i could have that problem down here in texas i cant imagine how cold it gets for yall to be able to cause that, but my next purchase will be adj control arms but im sure thatll just help steering more than suspension perfromance, i just hate cringing or cursin over every bump.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ride is rough as hell and I agree it is worse in the cold.

Quick Reply: Spring rate and ride quality