Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spray paint, what am i doing wrong?

Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trauma
I stripped it down to bare metal.

Used self etching duplicolor primer.

and sprayed it in engine enamel. 3 light coats.

Followed all directions to a T.

Its been 8 hours, and i can still put my nail into it. It doesnt say a full cure time on the can, i am praying by tomorrow night or a couple days it actually hardens or my winch is ruined.

There is literally 0 room for error in how i did it. It was perfect.
The paint won't ruin it
You can always strip it and start over!

I understand your frustration... been there, done that enough times to know that I paint something on a weekend and don't touch it until the next weekend
Old 06-17-2013, 03:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman

This won't speed it up, and you'll still have soft paint. Like I said earlier, paint is "dry" in a few hours, but it won't fully cure and be hard (enamel will be hard) for several days.

Patience, young grasshopper.
X2... And since you used engine enamal, a high temp product, After a couple days you may want to put it in the oven at 200 deg for an hour. The high temp stuff gets its full cure at high temp. I would not have reco'd this paint for your winch, its a cold aplication.

Quick Reply: Spray paint, what am i doing wrong?