Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spray paint, what am i doing wrong?

Old 06-14-2013, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2 on all the above...DIY paint is truly an art. I spent 2 months on a tiny hood scoop once. What I learned was prep and paitience...humidity variables matter too. Dry time and cure time are not the same...good luck!!! I can relate to your frustration
Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The citristrip took the majority of it down to the bare metal. (what a mess!)

Have to work at it some more to get into the tight corners/gear teeth.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Have another question...

Without sandblasting, it is physically impossible for me to get every last crevice, but I got some citristrip on them anyway.

Will this give me problems when I repaint if I go over it or will the new paint seal it in? Citristrp says it stays active for 24 hours, so I figure I would wait 48 hours to be safe before painting.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Trauma
Have another question...

Without sandblasting, it is physically impossible for me to get every last crevice, but I got some citristrip on them anyway.

Will this give me problems when I repaint if I go over it or will the new paint seal it in? Citristrp says it stays active for 24 hours, so I figure I would wait 48 hours to be safe before painting.
It will eventually dry. I would wait a day and try to get in there with a nylon brush or maybe a pressure washer if you have one. Either way, waiting 48 hours is a good idea
Old 06-15-2013, 06:09 PM
JK Freak

I stripped it down to bare metal.

Used self etching duplicolor primer.

and sprayed it in engine enamel. 3 light coats.

Followed all directions to a T.

Its been 8 hours, and i can still put my nail into it. It doesnt say a full cure time on the can, i am praying by tomorrow night or a couple days it actually hardens or my winch is ruined.

There is literally 0 room for error in how i did it. It was perfect.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Junkie

I used touch up paint, the little pen/ brush combo but it was $8 so maybe you could find a cheaper brush on paint.

I don't have that old winch so I'm not sure about durability. Not to mention painting it by hand would be a pain in the ass.

Totally sorry you have such terrible results so far.

Sent from my DROID4
Old 06-15-2013, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls
I used touch up paint, the little pen/ brush combo but it was $8 so maybe you could find a cheaper brush on paint.

I don't have that old winch so I'm not sure about durability. Not to mention painting it by hand would be a pain in the ass.

Totally sorry you have such terrible results so far.

Sent from my DROID4
Well im praying it just needs more time to harden. I highly doubt it reached full hardness after only 8 hours, half of which was at night.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

I had paint do that before I just let it sit for a week or so and basically forgot about it ... Well it's hard now
Old 06-15-2013, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Trauma
Well im praying it just needs more time to harden. I highly doubt it reached full hardness after only 8 hours, half of which was at night.
we'll you have to try to spray it at right temps to. But engine enamel should be sticking good, have you though of clear coat? Try that to keep the paint hard. Well worth it
Old 06-15-2013, 10:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MojaveJK
we'll you have to try to spray it at right temps to. But engine enamel should be sticking good, have you though of clear coat? Try that to keep the paint hard. Well worth it
This won't speed it up, and you'll still have soft paint. Like I said earlier, paint is "dry" in a few hours, but it won't fully cure and be hard (enamel will be hard) for several days.

Patience, young grasshopper.

Quick Reply: Spray paint, what am i doing wrong?