Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spray paint, what am i doing wrong?

Old 06-13-2013, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
Not a rustoleum fan. Painted my riddlers with black rustoleum and even after letin it sit for two days it never hardened up. If you touched it hard you would leave finger prints. Striped it all off and went with duplicolor. Drys super fast and holds.on pretty strong.
I don't see any way of me getting all this paint off now. Its either gonna hold up or its ruined.

It was 80+ out in the sun when I did it. Its raining these past days but when its a hot summer day I guess il leave it out to bake.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Trauma
I don't see any way of me getting all this paint off now. Its either gonna hold up or its ruined. It was 80+ out in the sun when I did it. Its raining these past days but when its a hot summer day I guess il leave it out to bake.
. Wet sand it very lightly to get it off and try some engine enamel paint instead
Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MojaveJK
. Wet sand it very lightly to get it off and try some engine enamel paint instead
Its 3 coats of clear, 2 coats of color and 2 of primer. Don't really think a light wet sand is gonna get me anywhere?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, unless you want to sand it all the way off, your only other option is Plasti Dip. This stuff will spray on and over everything. Do light coats about 5-6 times and you should be good.

Question is. Was the paint soft and smooshi prior to the clear coat? It might be the clear coat causing all these problems. Ive never in my life heard of paint being soft... Gotta be the clear coat.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap spot sand blaster. Tape the winch with good quality masking tape and blast off all the bad paint. It'll take about 10 minutes to get the whole thing down to bare metal then you can start over with better quality paint.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Semper4x4
Random Question? Did you use the same brand primer and paint? I've had troubles in the past with different brand primer and paint not behaving with each other.
This will happen. Had it happen to me. The primer and paint didn't bond correct and the paint stayed soft.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gel paint stripper. I've removed countless layers of paint this way. Home depot sells a citrus smelling paint stripping gel that you can brush on and scrape off an hour later (may need to go through process 2-3 times depending on the amount of paint to be removed. Very little effort on your part, especially compared to sanding paint off. Sanding is for scuffing and smoothing, not really removing.

Btw, paint will be "dry" after 30 minutes, but it won't fully cure for almost a week. I've painted my motorcycle, waited two days to handle it only to find out that I was leaving fingerprints in the finish and could dent it with my fingernail. The paint was hard as a rock several days later.

Moral of the story: be extra patient.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:49 PM
JK Newbie

Just wash it off with some general purpose thinner or acetone! Should get it off pretty easy, oh and sand blasting wont work to quick if its soft as the sand just bounces off the paint rather than removing it!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

I think what I am going to do is go to HD, bring the used paint and ask for a store credit. Use that towards the stripper and go buy some dupli-color. Never would have bought RustO garbage if it wasn't all HD sold.

Last edited by Trauma; 06-14-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

Got a refund on the rusto paint.

Bought 1/2 gallon of citristrip.

Bought a gallon of mineral spirits.

Bought duplicolor engine enamel.

Going to war on this thing.

Side note, can't believe how strong the citristrip is. wow

Quick Reply: Spray paint, what am i doing wrong?