Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spray paint, what am i doing wrong?

Old 06-13-2013, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray paint, what am i doing wrong?

Wasn't sure where else to put this.

Anyway, I am painting my winch with rust-o rattlecan enamel, thinking I did a great job but apparently all the paint is "soft." I can indent it with my fingernail and I can peel chips off with my finger if I wanted to.

I did 2 light coats of primer. Wait 24 hours.
2 coats of color, wait 24 hours.
3 coats clear.

I didn't do excessively heavy coats I just made sure to leave no unpainted spots. No runs or puddles anywhere.

Feel like I may have ruined my winch
Old 06-13-2013, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

First thought is that winch body is powder coated. You need to scuff it up real good first or the paint wont bond. Secondly, primer should not be used on top of existing coating because it needs the metal to bond too.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JKbender
First thought is that winch body is powder coated. You need to scuff it up real good first or the paint wont bond. Secondly, primer should not be used on top of existing coating because it needs the metal to bond too.
That was my thought. It's probably powder coated or has some kind of hard shell enamel.

That, or you didn't shake the paint enough
Old 06-13-2013, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

What did you use to clean the surface prior to priming and painting? If you used a solvent or degreaser and some of it was left behind it could to keeping your base layer (and the layers on top of it) from adhering and drying
Old 06-13-2013, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

I used very diluted degreaser. I don't think it has to do with this thought because I used the same paint on my tow hooks which I did not use degreaser on, and I have the same issue.

Whatever coating was on it, was awful. Smittybilt should be ashamed of the coating they put on it.

I scuffed it up really good with a green pad.

Now that the paint is on there... what can I do? I obviously can't sand it all off it will take countless hours.

And when I read somewhere it said to use primer. There was spots of rust so I just primed the entire thing

Last edited by Trauma; 06-13-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

I find a higher gloss paint ( and especially some of the rustoleum products I've used ) lay down a bit thicker. They seem to "pool" in certain areas and are softer.

I use a more flat or satin finish and it seems to dry quicker and lay down more evenly. Even the cheapy .99 cans. Just make sure you are hitting light coats and letting it dry.

Most times I've got "soft spots" is my impatience and throwing too much down too quickly.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rays0852
I find a higher gloss paint ( and especially some of the rustoleum products I've used ) lay down a bit thicker. They seem to "pool" in certain areas and are softer.

I use a more flat or satin finish and it seems to dry quicker and lay down more evenly. Even the cheapy .99 cans. Just make sure you are hitting light coats and letting it dry.

Most times I've got "soft spots" is my impatience and throwing too much down too quickly.

Honestly, in my opinion RustO makes garbage products all around. I am a krylon/duplicolor kinda guy but I had a $50 home depot gift and figured I may as well save some money.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the outside air temp? Put a heat lamp on it and it'll harden up.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Random Question? Did you use the same brand primer and paint? I've had troubles in the past with different brand primer and paint not behaving with each other.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a rustoleum fan. Painted my riddlers with black rustoleum and even after letin it sit for two days it never hardened up. If you touched it hard you would leave finger prints. Striped it all off and went with duplicolor. Drys super fast and holds.on pretty strong.

Quick Reply: Spray paint, what am i doing wrong?