Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

spray on bedliner duplicolor vs rustoleum

Old 03-12-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Salad
Any luck with the duplicolor? How did it hold up?
I used the rustoleum self etching primer then came back with duplicolor spray on bedliner on my rims about 3 weeks ago and It's holding up pretty well.. Hit it with pressure washer and all is good . I'm sure trails might eat them up a little but haven't been on any lately to test :-( I can't scratch off with fingernail..
Old 03-12-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a couple of pics
Old 03-12-2011, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DougHeffernan
Here is a couple of pics
Looks damn good .....
Old 03-12-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Coondog33

Looks damn good .....
Thanks I'm really Pleased the way they came out.. I was thinking of buying some 15" black soft 8's but rethinking now.. It's terrible that I can get 15" rims and 35's for less than 17" 35's tires only..
Old 03-12-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

So far, I have only used the Rustoleum. To echo some of the previous comments, it's really smooth for a "bedliner". I think Duplicolor will be used for any future projects.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Which ever one you decide to use, be sure to purchase one of those "pistol grip" attachments for use with the can. Makes a world of difference in applying a nice even spray to the surface you're bedlining.

That is one really nice looking paint job how durable is that stuff?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great thread. This is actually the first resualt for "rustoleum vs duplicolor bedliner" on google.

Looks like duplicolor without primer is the way to go.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Trauma
What i also noticed is, the primer really never hardens, even after like 12 hours that scrapes off REALLY easy. Like if i touch it with my nail it comes off.

Hopefully primerless proves to work better. Saves money too if i dont need another 2 cans of primer lol.

update - it is not sticking at all.

Pisseddd off.

I wanna try duplicolor but i do not wanna throw another $15 in the garbage. if it doesnt work
I did use Rustoleum and had good results. Painted my tail light guards and gas cap cover that were chrome and could not sell.

Some contributing factors could be metal too cold, you are loading up the primer and not letting proper flash time between coats. Meaning the primer is still trying to cure from the first coat out to last causing longer dry time. When it is humid out alot of people do not realize that can cause the primer and paint to have longer dry times as well. What did you prep metal with? I would either wipe down the primer (after sanding if needed) with wax and grease remover, and or follow up with a tack rag.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

I have used both and tbh I think it depends on the batch you get. The duplicolor seemed to be more consistent in finish. The Rustoleum, I had a couple of cans where it came out very thin with little to no texture and several others with perfect texture. I also played around with temperature and distance to surface when spraying and all of them seemed to be factors. Over all both are good products but I really do not think there is anything that can compare to a professional job like Line X. I know that is a bit of a...general statement that you get what you pay for but it seems to really fit here.
I still have a couple cans of each and use them and have no problem continuing to use them for bumpers and such. The next thing I will probably spray is the interior top, the white is driving my nuts. Wife says no so I will probably do it sooner than later.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xodius
I have used both and tbh I think it depends on the batch you get. The duplicolor seemed to be more consistent in finish. The Rustoleum, I had a couple of cans where it came out very thin with little to no texture and several others with perfect texture. I also played around with temperature and distance to surface when spraying and all of them seemed to be factors. Over all both are good products but I really do not think there is anything that can compare to a professional job like Line X. I know that is a bit of a...general statement that you get what you pay for but it seems to really fit here.
I still have a couple cans of each and use them and have no problem continuing to use them for bumpers and such. The next thing I will probably spray is the interior top, the white is driving my nuts. Wife says no so I will probably do it sooner than later.
I would say you are spot on with it being dependent on batch and, possibly, age and storage. I did a front bumper in duplicolor and it was very inconsistent. Some parts were hard as rock and some were soft. I ended up stripping the whole bumper and redoing it with the rustoleum. The rustoleum worked out much better for me.

Quick Reply: spray on bedliner duplicolor vs rustoleum