Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

spray on bedliner duplicolor vs rustoleum

Old 02-24-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Croce
When i bedlined my interior (using rustoleum) i used no primer at all, I just sanded first then cleaned with acetone .if tried scraping it with my fingernail it would prolly cut my finger its on there so well. When i did my rims i used primer and i was able to scratch it right off. So to me it seems like it has something to do with the primer

edit: I also only let it dry for about 24 hours before putting all the seats back in

You arent painting a stainless surface like aluminum. Thats my problem.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trauma
You arent painting a stainless surface like aluminum. Thats my problem.
What are the stock 18" sahara rims made of? Thought they were aluminum, not stainless though right?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I believe they are aluminum
Old 02-24-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Croce
What are the stock 18" sahara rims made of? Thought they were aluminum, not stainless though right?
You just said you painted your interior... not your rims.

I guess i will give it a try without the primer as well..

Running out of sample pieces lol...

I mean worst case i will just leave the thing shiny and polish it... but over time it will show wear/scratches etc.

Last edited by Trauma; 02-24-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

What i also noticed is, the primer really never hardens, even after like 12 hours that scrapes off REALLY easy. Like if i touch it with my nail it comes off.

Hopefully primerless proves to work better. Saves money too if i dont need another 2 cans of primer lol.

update - it is not sticking at all.

Pisseddd off.

I wanna try duplicolor but i do not wanna throw another $15 in the garbage. if it doesnt work

Last edited by Trauma; 02-24-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:23 PM
JK Freak

Ok so I called rustoleum and they told me that after priming I can paint after 30 minutes, or 4 hours if I want to sand it.

The bedliner I should allow SEVEN DAYS to dry before attemtping to scratch at it. It takes at a minimum 72 hours to reach full hardness and should be given a week to be safe. (Especially considering it is winter)

Guess I will neeto be patient.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adrom
I believe they are aluminum

They are. You are correct.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

temp really plays a factor in cure times...you may just want to wait a few months for it to warm up in NY
Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

ok, so far i have tested the following.

Rustoleum

Primer Only - Even after 30 minutes, is still scratched by the slightest touch. Absorbs grease VERY easily from fingertips. Cannot touch it without gloves.
Primer + Liner = Scratches too easily after a few days of drying
Liner only = Slightly harder to scratch but still nowhere near what a "Bed liner" Should be.

Conclusion - Rustoleum took their regular, textured black paint, and re-labeled the can. The finish is very thin, and nothing near what a bed liner that you can drop heavy construction materials on should be. The thicker texture of the dupli-color also allows more room for error because it will not puddle and hides imperfections much better due to its thickness.

Dupli-Color
Primer - Excellent so far, dries fully after 30 minutes or less ready for top coat/light sanding. Does not absorb grease from fingertips.
Liner only - have not tried this yet as the primer seems to be far higher quality.
Liner + Primer - Currently drying, will still be put to test but the product is FAR more bed liner like.

Conclusion - It is atleast 2x thicker than the rustoleum, and is more of a rubbery texture like a bed liner should be. So far, this is looking promising and the rustoleum has really let me down.

I will report back when i know how the dupli-color holds up as it is drying now. At this point i recommend avoiding rustoleum products, especially their self etching primer because it is total garbage and does not work at all to etch the metal.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Any luck with the duplicolor? How did it hold up?

Quick Reply: spray on bedliner duplicolor vs rustoleum